Respected Contributor

Re: It was okay when I stepped away to listen and watch

On 3/7/2015 Dell said:

Some will say speeches are only words but do nothing. They inspire and possibly cause change for the future. Thanks to those speeches in the 1960's I could marry my husband. I am white from Wyoming and he is Black. I could have my two children and my grandson. My office where I work has a Deputy Director who is Black, three managers who are black, and numerous supervisors who are Black. I praise all the many people like John Lewis and so many others who worked so hard for change. Yes we are not done but we have come a long way and I still look forward to more change.

I doubt many will see this post of mine because it will be deleted soon but I pray some do and it gives them food for thought.

I see it and thank you for your inspirational words!

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

Great post, DellSmiley Happy

Valued Contributor

On 3/7/2015 feline groovy said:
On 3/7/2015 Dell said:

Some will say speeches are only words but do nothing. They inspire and possibly cause change for the future. Thanks to those speeches in the 1960's I could marry my husband. I am white from Wyoming and he is Black. I could have my two children and my grandson. My office where I work has a Deputy Director who is Black, three managers who are black, and numerous supervisors who are Black. I praise all the many people like John Lewis and so many others who worked so hard for change. Yes we are not done but we have come a long way and I still look forward to more change.

I doubt many will see this post of mine because it will be deleted soon but I pray some do and it gives them food for thought.

Bless you both - and the branches that grew from your love. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Thank you feline groovy. Your post means a lot to me today.

Valued Contributor

On 3/7/2015 mstyrion 1 said:
On 3/7/2015 Dell said:

I see it and thank you for your inspirational words!

mstyrion 1, thanks for your comment. So many posts today have been negative and it finally got to me. I had to say something.

Valued Contributor

On 3/7/2015 tansy said:

Great post, DellSmiley Happy

Thanks tansy. Back to the thought of speeches don't matter. How many of us in the past had a parent tell us you can pass that test and get a great grade? Now go study some more. Or a band director when the band was preparing for Festival encouring the band to practice more and pump them up to do an awesome job. Or a coach for a sports team. Without all of that encouragement where would we be?

Honored Contributor

Dell!!!! You rock!!!
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Super Contributor

Racism still exists. Words that make feel all warm and fuzzy inside are nice, but the reality is, people still get stopped and harassed for no reason.

It's been 50 years, and it's still there, the bigotry, mistrust, etc.

Sure, some things have changed.

No more separate water fountains, can sit at the counter etc.

But when a person gets pulled over for DWB, stop and frisk, etc and racist "jokes" about the first family are freely forwarded, then that tells me, that the words said today are falling on deaf ears.

And if we've only moved forward an inch in 50 years, it'll be a hundred before we will have even covered a mile.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/7/2015 Plaid Pants said:

Racism still exists. Words that make feel all warm and fuzzy inside are nice, but the reality is, people still get stopped and harassed for no reason.

But when a person gets pulled over for DWB, stop and frisk, etc and racist "jokes" about the first family are freely forwarded, then that tells me, that the words said today are falling on deaf ears.

And if we've only moved forward an inch in 50 years, it'll be a hundred before we will have even covered a mile.

ITA.

Those who don't understand that are those with the problem.

Super Contributor

On 3/7/2015 Lila Belle said:
On 3/7/2015 Plaid Pants said:

ITA.

Those who don't understand that are those with the problem.

Agreed.

Valued Contributor

On 3/7/2015 MickD said: Dell!!!! You rock!!!

Why thank you MickD. I am not sure which post you are referring to but thank you so much for the kind words. I have been contemplating on a lot of these thoughts today and felt compelled to share them.