Honored Contributor

We help everyone, and we don't make it a requirement, that they be religious. Need is our only requirement. I like that a lot

Honored Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

This is why we never hand money to beggars. Instead we have offered food.

Those beggars work together and move around to different areas of the city.

Give to the Red Cross because they will give to the truly needy.

@OKPrincess

The Red Cross helps the homeless?

Esteemed Contributor

How sad peoples good hearts are taken advantage of.You can’t trust anybody any more.That is why I’m extremely careful who I donate to. Most of my charitable donations go to my local food bank & to Disabled American Veterans.

For all of you who donate to charities remember this. You gave with an open heart with all good intentions.Be proud of yourselves for trying to reach out to those in need.Please don’t become jaded.Then the bad guys win.Continue to spread your love & positivity.Especially, during these trying times the world needs compassion.

I’m careful who I give to but I will not stop.This would deny deserving people the leg up that they deserve.

Esteemed Contributor

@vermint wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@vermint wrote:

We don't give to Red Cross, ever. My DH is involved in disaster relief through our church and he has seen them in action--they show up at the scene in brand-new vehicles, drive around for photo ops, then leave. 

I've also quit giving to other large charities, simply because they absolutely inundate us with mail wanting more and more and more! I could paper my walls with the address stickers and notepads these places have sent us.

Most of our charity dollars go to our church, which has outreach operations that do a world of good in our community.

People who scam others the way these folks did are just despicable!

@vermint  We give locally and to the outreach operations that our church supports.  Most of these have little or no overhead.  Feeding and clothing the poor, supporting an orphanage, and spreading the gospel to those that haven't heard it are what gets our $$.

@tends2dogs What you said! Our church also helps support an orphanage, runs a benevolence program (this has no paid staff whatsoever, and does amazing work), ministers to a nearby senior-living complex--at their request, and does a number of other outreach events. I "see" my dollars in action, and know how every penny is spent.

@vermint  It does your heart good to know that there is little or no wasted $$.  There are still good people and organizations out there if you know where to look.  Often they are right in front of us and they aren't attached to a "well known" name. Woman Happy

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@OKPrincess wrote:

This is why we never hand money to beggars. Instead we have offered food.

Those beggars work together and move around to different areas of the city.

Give to the Red Cross because they will give to the truly needy.

@OKPrincess

The Red Cross helps the homeless?

Yes there are homeless due to hurricanes, wildfires, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@vermint wrote:

We don't give to Red Cross, ever. My DH is involved in disaster relief through our church and he has seen them in action--they show up at the scene in brand-new vehicles, drive around for photo ops, then leave. 

I've also quit giving to other large charities, simply because they absolutely inundate us with mail wanting more and more and more! I could paper my walls with the address stickers and notepads these places have sent us.

Most of our charity dollars go to our church, which has outreach operations that do a world of good in our community.

People who scam others the way these folks did are just despicable!

@vermint  We have had missionaries from our church tell us the same things about the Red Cross.  I agree about all the freebies that we receive in the mail.  If they can afford all that junk, they can't be that hard up for funding. 

We do like you.  We give locally and to the outreach operations that our church supports.  Most of these have little or no overhead.  Feeding and clothing the poor, supporting an orphanage, and spreading the gospel to those that haven't heard it are what gets our $$.

Am I understanding this correctly? Missionaries, who are supposed to model the love of Christ, are passing judgement on a philanthropic organization that donates millions and millions of dollars to help people in crisis situations? In doing this they are discouraging charitable donations to the Red Cross? What passes for christianity these days is appalling.

@bathina  The missionaries were only passing on what they saw happen.  That is not passing judgement, but reporting the facts. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Am I the only one dying laughing over here because it worked perfectly with all kinds of money pouring in until they turned on each other and karma got them? 

They were scot free untll he filed that lawsuit because the other two thieves got greedy.  LOL    

Honored Contributor

No not laughing at all,sad so many with good hearts got taken.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Yes shame on those scammers. They should be ashamed,but they are not because they are just plain not nice, So instead of feeling so bad about all the unkind scammers,look at the positive side.Look at all the wonderful kind people who cared enough to give to someone they thought was in need. And good kind people will continue to do so.Just have to be more aware of who and what they give to.Do what you feel is right and you can't go wrong. Happy Holidays!

Honored Contributor
@goldensrbest The gofundme page or whatever it was said months ago they guarantee donations. Everyone will get their money back. They are the ones who will lose their percentage.