Esteemed Contributor

Re: It should not be celebrated...

@esmerelda wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@RollTide2008 Wow. I am so sorry this discussion is making you feel badly.  

I don’t think I’m judging. I’m recognizing...and disagreeing with anyone who says being obese for any reason is okay. 

I’m not perfect. I think I’m like most people. 

If you are not accepting someone the way they are, you are judging them.

@CrazyDaisy Then I guess it’s a good thing I haven’t said that I don’t accept anyone the way they are. 

And @RollTide2008 It’s pretty clear to anyone reading that this discussion has affected you.

Yet you say it is not ok for them to be obese, then say you are not judging. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
Why do you feel it is your business?

@RollTide2008  For my friends… I care about them and I want them to live a long and healthy life.

For people I don’t know… I’m just joining in the conversation. Doesn’t really matter to me. They are responsible for themselves.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy A general statement, not directed at anyone in particular. If I say it’s good to be rich...am I judging anyone, rich or poor?

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

These are not "questions" they are judgmental statements.

@CrazyDaisy

Nope.  That's called reality.  I lived it so I know.  I hated looking in a mirror.  And I sure did not accept the way I looked or felt. 

Obese people get offended at the truth.  And the truth is that most overweight people can't stand to live in their skin.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I watch 600 lb life and am amazed at the money spent on food (grocery and fast food).   More often than not, the enablers also have weight problems.

I find it interesting that when Dr. Now insists that the patient loses 50, 60. even 100 pounds before surgery, many are able to do this.  Why not just continue what they have done to lose this weight for a longer time frame rather than risk surgery?   They have proven to themselves that they can affect their weight with the proper guidelines.

I celebrate their victories and am sorry for those who are unable to conquer the demons that they are seeking help for.  I do love, however, their "mini" counseling sessions. Smiley Frustrated

ETA, the photo is beauitful.  

Honored Contributor

@conlt

I have been grossly overweight/thin, and everything in between. Some of it was my choice, to fit my choice of sports type activities, others because of several other factors. Right now, at this present period of time, I can weigh what number I choose.

You mention the word "easy" in your very last sentence, so I will talk about that. Because I state what I said in my previous paragraph, does not mean it is "easy". It involves the same things that most people do to lose, and/or keep their weight where they choose it to be. For most, changing a behavior/habit or addiction is not easy, and anyone that thinks it is, is sorely mistaken.

I don't expect or want to be celebrated for any of these weights. My goals have always been to make myself feel better/function better, and live a happy life, in spite of my many failings and shortcomings along the way. I wish more people would look at everyone this way, with no celebrating necessary.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Health insurance isn't cheap and never was.  Sick people make everyone's rate go up...sick people, not fat  people.  That includes skinny people who are sick and many are.  Not all fat people are sick.

It is what it is.  It's called cost sharing.  I don't have any illnesses.  Maybe your RA is making my costs higher.  I don't mind helping you by paying a higher rate because you are in need.

@Carmie There’s a big difference between overweight, obese and 600 lbs. obese. I don’t think people should be that overweight before seeking medical intervention. By that point, it would seem the body is far more damaged that “stomach stapling” surgery can repair. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

These are not "questions" they are judgmental statements.

@CrazyDaisy

Nope.  That's called reality.  I lived it so I know.  I hated looking in a mirror.  And I sure did not accept the way I looked or felt. 

Obese people get offended at the truth.  And the truth is that most overweight people can't stand to live in their skin.

So if I would say "Can you honestly walk by a mirror and think you look good in that outfit?" or "Are you really comfortable going out with your hair looking like that?"  You would not say that you are being judged?

Your reality is yours and yours alone.  And a very judgmental one, at least own up to that.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

We all make numerous judgments every single day. Some of them are nice and some not so nice and we are all guilty of making not so nice judgments. No one here is a saint.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

@Qshopper1991  You have no right to judge everyone else and assign your own neurosis to all of them. Personally I've never known anyone who is older , and is very thin who wasn't also pretty crazy. Just my experience. There are a lot of posters on this board who think they are perfect but it is easy to see from their posts that they actually have an eating disorder.