Esteemed Contributor

Re: It should not be celebrated...

@Trinity11 wrote:

@comedy clubber wrote:

I do not think taht morbid obesity should be celebrated.  Cosmo UK is wrong to laud the woman on this cover.  I am tired of paying high health insurance premiums because 1/13 of the US American population is morbidly obese.  This cover on Cosmo, and shows like My Big Fat Fabulous Life, and My 600 pound Life are absurd.   Not everyone needs to weigh 100 pounds, but to glorify  obesity is insanity.  I weigh 145 and wish I weighed 130, but I am 100% healthy with the exception of having rheumatoid arthritis.  I cannot get private insurance at a reasonable rate because of the RA.    This is because I have to answer about a preexisting condition, and insurance then assumes the worst due to the obesity rate in this country.  Sorry I am rambling, but why can't we encourage health and discourage obesity.  It not hormones either!

Perhaps, educating yourself about morbid obesity would help you to understand the why's and how's people suffer from this devasting disease. Saying that it isn't hormones is an uneducated statement that studies have proved in individualized cases very ignorant.

A simple google will provide for you many studies regarding genetics and obesity. There are many reasons for a patient being obese other than a simple diagnosis of overeating.

Personally, I think ignorance is something not to be celebrated and ignored. Thus my reply. Educate yourself about the insurance industry too. Obesity is NOT the only reason for rates going up. Sigh.....

Statistically older people greatly increase insurance rates.  Perhaps we should stop celebrating Birthdays and shaming all those who have the audasity of wanting to live into old age.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 wrote:

A simple google will provide for you many studies regarding genetics and obesity. There are many reasons for a patient being obese other than a simple diagnosis of overeating.

@Trinity11

So....if an obese person went on a 2-week water fast, they would not lose weight?  

Genetics is a thing....but such an incredibly small, small, small percentage (3-5%) of obesity & other ailments.

It has been, is, always will be....about the type of food eaten. 

“The Fat You Eat is the Fat You Wear”

If someone does an extended water fast...and maintains/gains weight,

I would love to see that study/research.

Trusted Contributor

@RollTide2008

I'm not judging overweight people.  I've been there, so I know what it's like.

You ultimately have the power to do something about it.  And you are right, I personally don't know you.  But can you honestly walk by a mirror and like what you see?  Or feel good that you are overweight?   If you can, good for you.  You are one of the more fortunate.

Most overweight people make excuses of why they don't want to lose weight.  Or, are offended that people are judging them when they are not.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

@RollTide2008

I'm not judging overweight people.  I've been there, so I know what it's like.

You ultimately have the power to do something about it.  And you are right, I personally don't know you.  But can you honestly walk by a mirror and like what you see?  Or feel good that you are overweight?   If you can, good for you.  You are one of the more fortunate.

Most overweight people make excuses of why they don't want to lose weight.  Or, are offended that people are judging them when they are not.  

These are not "questions" they are judgmental statements.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

I’m pretty secure with myself and don’t need anyone’s permission. I truly do feel good about myself, I don’t feel any need to retreat into self loathing until I meet some standard you set for me.

I don’t care if you don’t like me, I don’t like you either. I’m not offended nor do I make excuses. I don’t have to justify my life choices.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RollTide2008 Wow. I am so sorry this discussion is making you feel badly.  

I don’t think I’m judging. I’m recognizing...and disagreeing with anyone who says being obese for any reason is okay. 

I’m not perfect. I think I’m like most people. 

eta...Or as I heard someone teach their child recently… I’m no better than anyone else and no one else is better than me.

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

I legitimately don’t feel badly. On the contrary, I feel pity for your pettiness.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@esmerelda wrote:

I don’t think I’m judging. I’m recognizing...and disagreeing with anyone who says being obese for any reason is okay. 

If you are not accepting someone the way they are, you are judging them.

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
And people wonder why individuals who are overweight often feel like second class citizens. 🙄

Hello to you @bikerbabe

No amount of body weight makes any person 2nd class to me, and it's a shame every person in our society does not feel the same. Shaming/badgering/belittling does not do anything good to any individual with a problem, especially any kind of addiction, or possibly addictive behavior.

Having had several addictions of my own, all of which I am still keeping under control, day by day, I understand that none of these will ever be cured. They will be, at best, kept under my control. I believe the same is true with almost every true addict, regardless of the type of addiction.

Most massively overweight individuals are well aware of their problem. In my opinion that is why so many try to completely avoid being out in public, which exacerbates their problem. It reminds me of the old "Catch-22" saying.

Having been the target of weight shaming jokes(?) through several years of grade school and 2+ years of high school, I know the mental damage that can be done. And while that was quite a few decades ago, I have never forgotten any of those periods of time. Many are etched in my brain and still come to the surface quite often, especially when I read threads such as this one.

Weight does not make the person, but outsiders can certainly change who that real person is, and that much of the time is not for the good. 

Thank you for your post,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

If you are not accepting someone the way they are, you are judging them.

@CrazyDaisy Then I guess it’s a good thing I haven’t said that I don’t accept anyone the way they are. 

And @RollTide2008 It’s pretty clear to anyone reading that this discussion has affected you.

Keepin' it real.