Honored Contributor

Re: It should not be celebrated...

@Free2be wrote:

I think Homegirl meant that criticism causes people to get disouraged and feel like there's no use in trying.  If that's what she meant, imo she's right.

@Free2be, that's how I read it, too.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

This thread makes me sad. Mind your own weight & don't worry about someone else. You seen to think just because one is plus size they should hide & not be on the cover of a magazine. We have way to many models starving themselves to be thin & that is not healrhty either. The young girls already have the message that you must be rail thin to be pretty. That is wrong as we are all shapes & sizes & you have no idea why we may be overweight.

Valued Contributor

@bikerbabe@JeanLouiseFinch  I wish I could hug the both of you.  I just came off the tractor after having mowed 5 acres in this horrendous heat, but the heat and humidity could not make me feel as horrible after reading some of these vicious comments.  For 60 years I've had weight problems, but with all my repulsiveness, I was able to hold a really good job for 30+ years.  I had accumulated 7 MONTHS of sick leave so my weight never caused problems.  But I also endured my entire life the nasty, hurtful comments, the name-calling, the sneers.  Fat people know we're fat.  Growing up magazines like Seventeen, Glamour, and especially Cosmo drilled into our heads you had to be a size zero to be able to get a man, dress nicely, have any self-worth.  Fat people are the last segment of society where you can be the butt of jokes.  While I find nothing attractive about the UK Cosmo cover, I am glad that young women are more accepting of themselves regardless of size.  I've never accepted myself even when I had got down to a size 12.  But for people on this board to imply that obese people are the cause of higher medical insurance, well it just makes my blood boil.  If I really said what I wanted, I'd be poofed in a minute.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

As I wrote in another thread where the OP attempted to shame the overweight. It is a sad thing that some people lose the opportunity to know and appreciate people who are overweight because many overweight people are very intelligent, funny and kind  people who make wonderful friends. 

Huh? sure, the "jolly fat man"..... Do you HEAR yourself? that is about the most condescending thing I have ever heard-

Find a fat friend!  everyone should have one!

Hey! perhaps  if we force feed our  stupid, unfunny, mean THIN friends, maybe their disposition will improve and we can all enjoy them more!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I see the original poster’s point, but there are unhealthy thin people, too. those of us who pay for insurance are paying for people who drink, smoke, have bulumia and other eating issues, who don’t exercise, and so on. Where would you draw the line? I see thin people eating burgers and fries, so we will end up paying for their mistakes, too. My point is that one cannot only call out the obese.

Respected Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

I see the original poster’s point, but there are unhealthy thin people, too. those of us who pay for insurance are paying for people who drink, smoke, have bulumia and other eating issues, who don’t exercise, and so on. Where would you draw the line? I see thin people eating burgers and fries, so we will end up paying for their mistakes, too. My point is that one cannot only call out the obese.

One should not be calling out anyone who deals with a medical issue and has to use their health insurance. Not fat. Not thin. Not smoker. Not non exerciser. Not burger eater.

The best thing to do is pay attention to your own health and stop pointing that finger.

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

'We' are paying for anyone who goes to the Doctor no matter what their problems are. If you never go to the Doctor, than 'We' aren't paying for you.

There a million and one reasons why someone might see a Dr. not just the ones you listed.

Honored Contributor

The weight loss industry is huge, diet food, diet drugs, diet programs and still obesity worldwide is increasing. Why is that? Not only people but pets as well and they aren't the ones responsible for choosing what they eat. Food has become something other than just satisfying hunger.

I wonder if diets have the opposite result in that they have one thinking of food constantly, what they should or shouldn't eat, planning menues...rather than thinking of food just when they're hungry.

That cover won't cause anyone to go on a weight gain diet but it may prevent some from trying to lose excess weight. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

I don't know whether anyone has mentioned this yet in this long thread:

when people are criticized for their appearance, it is much harder for them to make the changes they may wish to make on their way to the improvements they want.  

Gawd..lol   You really don't get it.  That's sad.

What, exactly, don't I "get," @chrystaltree?  Please elaborate.

ETA:  I see others who noticed your comment actually understood what I wrote.  Why didn't you?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

It seems to me running your own life should be a full time job. I think everyone should concentrate on that, and leave other people alone

I don't understand  why people feel its their business to tell other people how to live?