Esteemed Contributor

Re: It should not be celebrated...

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

The whole judging thing is interesting. People are judging the model, then people are judging them by calling them fat shamers. We are ALL making a judgment of some sort.

There is a difference between making a judgement and being judgemental.

Judgemental  about a judgement or making a judgment about the judgemental. Tomato, Tomato......

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately this is a real photograph. Ana Carolina Reston

was a model who passed in 2006, weighing only 88lb at 5’8”

at the time of her passing.  

Tying back to the original post, many felt this image was

too extreme and maybe even altered. Why didn’t we feel that

way about Tess Holliday’s image? Maybe it was altered?

ED74FB9F-63BB-4EEF-971D-8EF76FF20945.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saw the cover photo in question and it seems the model is not being celebrated, as Cosmo wants to spin it...she is actually being ridiculed ...fat-shamed is the current term I think. Cosmo has always been on the edge...and it seems body-shaming is their latest tactic. I think beauty comes in every weight, height, shape, and size. It truly is in the eye of the beholder. Health is an entirely different matter. I think as long as you are healthy and take care of yourself, there is no perfect number on the scale you must achieve. Obesity seems to be one of the remaining reasons that you can discriminate against someone and get a high-five instead of a slap on the face. 

Esteemed Contributor

A woman who had anorexia said that she was body shamed. People would say eat a cheeseburger. She said it was just as hard to eat a cheeseburger as it was for an obese person to stop eating cheeseburgers. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

I worked with a woman who lost her 15 year old daughter to anorexia...it is a very real condition and people die from it. The comments aimed at others due to their appearance and body size are almost always based in ignorance and hostility. And to think we are so proud of how our society has progressed....ha!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Free2be wrote:

The skeletal woman in the photograph died of Anorexia in 2006.

Very sad.

Her head still doesn't look like it belongs to her body, but makeup and photoshop could account for that.  Not out of the ordinary or a secret for fashion photos.

Her body is just so sad and painful to see.  I am still stunned that her body would be compared to Meghan Markle's.

Valued Contributor

@comedy clubber- you seem very judgemental. Usually those that find fault in others are trying to deflect away from their own unhappiness. It's too bad you can't be happy or "celebrate" others accomplishments. How many magazine covers have you been on?

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Free2be wrote:

The skeletal woman in the photograph died of Anorexia in 2006.

Very sad.

Her head still doesn't look like it belongs to her body, but makeup and photoshop could account for that.  Not out of the ordinaty or a secret for fashion photos.

Her body is just so sad and painful to see.  I am still stunned that her body would be compared to Meghan Markle's.

@QueenDanceALot, according to the Snopes article the image was photoshopped -- this is the original one before it was modified.   Even so, it's a tragic story and sadly not the only life lost to anorexia and its complications.

Click to enlarge

source:

"Emaciated Models"

"Rumor: Photographs show a series of frighteningly emaciated models.

CLAIM:   Photographs show a series of frighteningly emaciated models.

FALSE"

snopes.com/fact-check/scare-models/

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saw this article in Scientific American a few days ago and wanted to share it.   Perhaps this research will turn out to be promising and beneficial.

"A Molecular Reason Why Obese People Have Trouble Losing Weight"

"Fat desensitizes the brain to a hormone that diminishes appetite"

"Obesity rates in the U.S. and abroad have soared: The world now has more overweight people than those who weigh too little.  One reason relates to the way the body reacts to its own fat stores by setting in motion a set of molecular events that impede the metabolic process that normally puts a damper on hunger.

A new study published August 22 in Science Translational Medicine provides details of how this process occurs, giving new insight into why obese individuals have trouble shedding pounds.  It also suggests a possible treatment approach that targets obesity in the brain, not in the belly...."

see article for details:

scientificamerican.com/article/a-molecular-reason-why-obese-people-have-trouble-losing-weight/

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

It is sickening to know so many people exploit the misery of others just to make money. Anyone who weighs 400-600 lbs is kidding themselves if they say they are healthy. Their heart cannot possibly work as hard as required to keep up that amount of weight.