Esteemed Contributor

Re: It should not be celebrated...

I knew young man some years ago. He was obese enough that he had surgery.  I’m not sure what kind… Bypass, sleeve, stapling. Anyway, he trimmed down very nicely. He spent nearly his entire day at the gym. (That is not to say that he worked out.)  He started putting weight back on.  I think he was in his mid-20s when he died in his sleep. I don’t know the cause of death of course; I’m sure his weight did not help.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

@RollTide2008

I'm not judging overweight people.  I've been there, so I know what it's like.

You ultimately have the power to do something about it.  And you are right, I personally don't know you.  But can you honestly walk by a mirror and like what you see?  Or feel good that you are overweight?   If you can, good for you.  You are one of the more fortunate.

Most overweight people make excuses of why they don't want to lose weight.  Or, are offended that people are judging them when they are not.  

Like what you see? Being thin isn't going to change that answer. It is a myth and that is why people who lose the weight often gain it back. 

I spent years of my life in caloric deprivation. Even though I am a Type 1 diabetic for nearly 50 years, I blame my obsession with dieting to the point of orthorexia for both my heart attacks. My heart muscle was affected and I paid dearly for being fat phobic. The modeling industry started my obsession with weight and even when I had long ceased to model, the habits were ingrained. 

I had genetic testing a few years ago and carry the gene for morbid obesity. It best explains why my life was riddled with obsessive dieting that to this day I adhere to in order to stay thin. I sometimes wonder why more research isn't being done on obesity and less on our weight obsessed society dealing with food made in labs designed to addict and fatten us up. 

If more than 50% of Americans are overweight or obese it is time to stop talking about will power and start looking for answers...

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 Interesting. I did not know there was such a gene. In my family everyone is very thin until middle age then they really blossom out.My brother & I have talked about this often, as it is now affecting our weight. Wonder what they call the fat only after your old gene? 

Honored Contributor

I choose not to worry about the weight of people I don't even know.  They know the scoop; it's their decision to be however they want to be.

I don't think showing an obese person on the cover of a magazine is going to cause anyone to strive to be obese too.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949They call it “loss of muscle and eating more than the muscle you have remaining can burn.”

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Some unnamed people should be ashamed of themselves.  Your smugness and faux generosity may come back to bite you in the rear end. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Trinity11 Interesting. I did not know there was such a gene. In my family everyone is very thin until middle age then they really blossom out.My brother & I have talked about this often, as it is now affecting our weight. Wonder what they call the fat only after your old gene? 

@151949...both my children have the gene and exercise and caloric deprivation keeps them thin. However, my daughter has injuries from exercise and now is having a difficult time. She did The Tough Mudder a few years ago and continues with marathons but it has gotten harder over the years.

I think the impact of needing a steroid for asthma directly affects weight. If you are pre-diabetic hyperinsulinimia packs on the pounds. It sure isn't easy...almost like choosing to breath over a tiny waist.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

to comedy clubber:

If you say you wish you weighed 130 lbs, then why dont you lose it? 

Trusted Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I choose not to worry about the weight of people I don't even know.  They know the scoop; it's their decision to be however they want to be.

I don't think showing an obese person on the cover of a magazine is going to cause anyone to strive to be obese too.

I think it could have a very negative impact on young girls who are already overweight thinking it's ok because there's a model who looks just like me and she's on the cover of a magazine. 

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor

@Deree wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

I think it could have a very negative impact on young girls who are already overweight thinking it's ok because there's a model who looks just like me and she's on the cover of a magazine. 

As opposed to young girls hating themselves and their bodies because they don't look like the stick thin models on the cover of a magazine?

I vote for self love rather than self loathing.