Regular Contributor

It should not be celebrated...

I do not think taht morbid obesity should be celebrated.  Cosmo UK is wrong to laud the woman on this cover.  I am tired of paying high health insurance premiums because 1/13 of the US American population is morbidly obese.  This cover on Cosmo, and shows like My Big Fat Fabulous Life, and My 600 pound Life are absurd.   Not everyone needs to weigh 100 pounds, but to glorify  obesity is insanity.  I weigh 145 and wish I weighed 130, but I am 100% healthy with the exception of having rheumatoid arthritis.  I cannot get private insurance at a reasonable rate because of the RA.    This is because I have to answer about a preexisting condition, and insurance then assumes the worst due to the obesity rate in this country.  Sorry I am rambling, but why can't we encourage health and discourage obesity.  It not hormones either!

Trusted Contributor

Re: It should not be celebrated...

It just may be what Cosmo wants, you're talking about it and stirring up interest.

Honored Contributor

Health insurance isn't cheap and never was.  Sick people make everyone's rate go up...sick people, not fat  people.  That includes skinny people who are sick and many are.  Not all fat people are sick.

It is what it is.  It's called cost sharing.  I don't have any illnesses.  Maybe your RA is making my costs higher.  I don't mind helping you by paying a higher rate because you are in need.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I see both sides. Overweight people want to be thought of as sexy and desirable. They shouldn’t have to hide and should love themselves. UK Cosmo is trying to send that message. At the same time being so overweight is not a good role model as far as health. They can spin it anyway they want, the body is not healthy at that weight. Yes thin people can be unhealthy also. There is that argument. I just read that liver cancer is up on children because of obesity. That is scary. I read that this is the first generation that will not live as long as the previous generation because of obesity and diabetes and heart disease taking the biggest hits. I have no solution. I eat 80/20 and that works for me.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

obesity is like a disease for some people and they need to be helped when possible.Healthcare is high for many reasons and the number 1 reason is the insurance companies like to make lots of money.

i know many thin and unhealthy people.How about all of the drug addictions,alcohol abuse and the uninsured people who use the hospitals for health care....these add to the costs for everyone too.I agree that healthcare is way too expensive but I don’t believe it’s  that way because we have an obesity problem.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie@I agree with you...I will pay a little extra to help others myself

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Who would you prefer to "be celebrated" on the cover of Cosmo?

Respected Contributor

I watch "My 600 Pound Life", and am always stunned by the fine print shown prior to the start of the current story.  It states that long term success for those who undergo the surgery is less than 5%!   One of my jobs was working in the GI Surgery dept. of a major hospital.  The stomach reduction surgery was performed by a couple of the doctors in the department.  This is a very expensive procedure!   From the pre- surgery needs of the patient, which may include psychological help, to the recuperation, the cost is astronomical.   On the show, the patients appear to be low income individuals, many say they are on SS disability because they are unable to work.  So, I assume their medical bills are paid for by Medicaid, the taxpayers.  If the long term success is less than 5% this seems like a lot of $$$ for a very long shot. 

Valued Contributor

600 lb Life and Big Fat Fab Life encourage me to diet.  I don't think they are glorifying obesity.  Its clear to me that the subjects of these shows have deep, troubling emotional problems and addictive disorders.  To me, they serve as a warning of what can happen if we don't deal with emotional issues, laziness and a lack of self-control.  I get the frustration -- we live in a world where EVERYTHING i.e. eating, drinking, prescription drugs (even shopping at QVC) is done in excess.  We all need to self-examine and TEACH our children balance and self-control.  P.S.  I'm starting my diet tomorrow, AGAIN!!

Honored Contributor

Okay I had no idea what you were talking about so I had to go look up the cover.  The model Tess Holiday has a beautiful face but yes is morbidly obese.  While I think that those who are large shouldn't have to go around feeling terrible about their size, I agree that it's not healthy and it's not a cause for a celebration either. 

Maybe Cosmo should have middle aged & senior women who having wrinkled aging bodies posing on the cover with all of their glory hanging out as well?  Why not?

As for insurance, people have all sorts of problems.  Some related to obesity and others aren't.  My husband has a lot of health issues now.  However he's always been very thin and when he was very sick a few years ago he looked like a refugee and had gotten down to 120 lbs.