Honored Contributor

Re: It should not be celebrated...

@cherry wrote:

It seems to me running your own life should be a full time job. I think everyone should concentrate on that, and leave other people alone

I don't understand  why people feel its their business to tell other people how to live?

It becomes the business of others when it impacts their lives. The OP is concerned about obesity increasing her insurance rates. I don't care about that but I do care about the environment and those who harm it. 

Honored Contributor

@comedy clubber wrote:

I do not think taht morbid obesity should be celebrated.  Cosmo UK is wrong to laud the woman on this cover.  I am tired of paying high health insurance premiums because 1/13 of the US American population is morbidly obese.  This cover on Cosmo, and shows like My Big Fat Fabulous Life, and My 600 pound Life are absurd.   Not everyone needs to weigh 100 pounds, but to glorify  obesity is insanity.  I weigh 145 and wish I weighed 130, but I am 100% healthy with the exception of having rheumatoid arthritis.  I cannot get private insurance at a reasonable rate because of the RA.    This is because I have to answer about a preexisting condition, and insurance then assumes the worst due to the obesity rate in this country.  Sorry I am rambling, but why can't we encourage health and discourage obesity.  It not hormones either!

Don't blame the obese, blame the people you put in government and the greedy insurance companies who deny you affordable health care.

Honored Contributor

As they say in yoga, 

"Keep your eye on your own mat"

Honored Contributor

Well if it were only overweight people that impact our lives, she might have a point. Its not,. it is drunk drivers, people texting while driving, people with dangerous hobbies.People who speed while driving , run stop signs People who decide that they will settle a score with a gun. People who are anorexic, or bulimic and on and on. Who knows what these people( the shamers) do that the rest of us might feel impacts us?

To point the finger at one segment is just plain unfair and judgemental

Respected Contributor

I am totally shocked at this thread.

I did not expect to see this much meanness come out on this forum. Yahoo commenters, sure, but not here.

The bottom line is Tess's picture is not on a medical journal. Why all of the comments about her health? Her medical record is not on the cover.

Just her body. HER body. She is a person. A person with feelings & ideas. 

If her worst sin is that she is overweight is that unforgivable? 

Is that the worst possible wrong that she can do to that world that it make so many people so angry & want to lash out at her & anyone that says maybe she isn't a horrible person.

The internet is a weird place, dude.

Honored Contributor

....because sadly people still believe that being overweight is a character flaw, reflecting lack of discipline and laziness.
QVC Customer Care

This thread is closed for commenting...