Esteemed Contributor

Re: It should not be celebrated...

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

The whole judging thing is interesting. People are judging the model, then people are judging them by calling them fat shamers. We are ALL making a judgment of some sort.

There is a difference between making a judgement and being judgemental.

@CrazyDaisy I don’t think so. If you make a judgment you are judging and therefore being judgmental. If this is not correct, please explain your statement.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo

Thanks for posting the snopes article w/ the unaltered picture.

She was a fairly active model, so the unaltered photo was 

most likely the weight she was at while working.

Since she passed away weighing 88lb, most likely the altered

image probably was closer to her weight at the time of death.

Knowing images can be altered, do we think Tess Halliday’s image 

was made bigger for the Cosmo cover? Or maybe since that’s

her MO, editors are given the same privileges to make bigger

as those who are made smaller.  Thoughts?

Super Contributor

To the judgemental person who confronted me in the store last week about my "choice" to buy only unhealhy ice cream when there are so many better options for someone "like me" ... I was buying three pints of Ben and Jerries, so I'm sure that must have horrified a health nut like you to see an overweight person buying that horror of horrors - ice cream!

You might not ever see this, but I need to say it. Get your bleeping nose out of my business! I was only there to get the ice cream for my dad, who was in hospice and that was the only thing he wanted.  As it turns out, he only had two bites of it around lunchtime and died that night. I'd like to thank you (not) for making that day so much better for me by worrying so much about my "health."  

Sometimes people just like to get their jabs in without giving the slightest thought to what someone is going through in their life..

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

The whole judging thing is interesting. People are judging the model, then people are judging them by calling them fat shamers. We are ALL making a judgment of some sort.

There is a difference between making a judgement and being judgemental.

@CrazyDaisy I don’t think so. If you make a judgment you are judging and therefore being judgmental. If this is not correct, please explain your statement.

One definition of "judgemental" is "being excessively critical, " i.e. "negative, disapproving."

That is different from "judging" in that judging can go either way.  I believe that is what @CrazyDaisy is referring to, @esmerelda

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I don't know whether anyone has mentioned this yet in this long thread:

when people are criticized for their appearance, it is much harder for them to make the changes they may wish to make on their way to the improvements they want.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Qshopper1991  You have no right to judge everyone else and assign your own neurosis to all of them. Personally I've never known anyone who is older , and is very thin who wasn't also pretty crazy. Just my experience. There are a lot of posters on this board who think they are perfect but it is easy to see from their posts that they actually have an eating disorder. 

@151949, what the what? Did you read what you wrote here? Forget the differing views on this thread; this is just absurd.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Anita Hug wrote:

To the judgemental person who confronted me in the store last week about my "choice" to buy only unhealhy ice cream when there are so many better options for someone "like me" ... I was buying three pints of Ben and Jerries, so I'm sure that must have horrified a health nut like you to see an overweight person buying that horror of horrors - ice cream!

You might not ever see this, but I need to say it. Get your bleeping nose out of my business! I was only there to get the ice cream for my dad, who was in hospice and that was the only thing he wanted.  As it turns out, he only had two bites of it around lunchtime and died that night. I'd like to thank you (not) for making that day so much better for me by worrying so much about my "health."  

Sometimes people just like to get their jabs in without giving the slightest thought to what someone is going through in their life..

(((@Anita Hug)))   Your post brought stinging tears to my eyes and stirred anger in my gut.   You deserve an apology from that thoughtless [blank] and since they never will apologize I'll do it for them...   From my heart to yours, I'm profoundly sorry you were treated so callously.    We absolutely must be more aware that we never know what painful, private battles others are fighting and how sharp and cruel our words or deeds can be.   My condolences to you and to all who love your dear father, may he rest in peace.   I think he was very, very blessed to have you as his daughter.

(((❤️)))

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Nothing like an obesity thread to get us off the rails. :-)

I try my best not to judge others. But I have no compunction stating that I think the soaring rates of obesity here and in other countries does not bode well for us humans. The reasons, I'm quite sure, are both myriad and systemic.

We eat very differently today, and we are far more sedentary. Society is adapting to the new weight averages. But I am fully supportive of any program that might help mitigate this pattern of increasing obesity.

Shaming, of course not; working to help people achieve their maximum health, yes. The latter would go far not just in terms of health but financially  for individuals and society as well.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Qshopper1991  You have no right to judge everyone else and assign your own neurosis to all of them. Personally I've never known anyone who is older , and is very thin who wasn't also pretty crazy. Just my experience. There are a lot of posters on this board who think they are perfect but it is easy to see from their posts that they actually have an eating disorder. 

@151949, what the what? Did you read what you wrote here? Forget the differing views on this thread; this is just absurd.

This may be yet another of this person's posts that she likes to call stirring everyone up. If it's not and how she really feels,  I fear she is having some serious problems of her own.

Honored Contributor

@minkbunny wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@minkbunny wrote:

@151949

Seriously?  Personally I've never known anyone who is older , and is very thin who wasn't also pretty crazy. 

That's what I just said.

I know and I was asking if you were serious that you have never known a thin older person who was not pretty crazy.

Honestly, I can't think of one.