Esteemed Contributor

Re: It should not be celebrated...

@Free2be wrote:

It isn't about weight that bothers me about this discussion,  It's the penchant our society has for shaming people.  It's a constant. It must be a need because people don't seem to be able to help themselves from doing it.  Maybe anxieties and fears cause it, I wouldn't presume to say for certainn but it just feels that way. Perhaps an avoidance technique, look at her (or him), not at me.

Every one of us is perfectly imperfect in one way or several or many.  Shall we have a shaming event, ridicule and demeaning earn extra points? -- step on up to the stage and disclose your imperfections, inadequacies, guilts and secrets and let the audience have a go. This is what goes on, in a sense.  We now live in a world that is quickly losing empathy, compassion, and clearly enjoys life at a renewed Roman Arena, sending the next person out to be devoured by shame.

I hope this damaging exercise turns around for the sake of us all, for next generations, for girls especially but also boys who shouldn't feel anxious about their bodies, for people who didn't dress "the right way", for anyone who mis-spoke or did something ordinarily human.

Agree.....kids come home everyday crying because they are teased about wearing glasses or being over weight.  Yet hear are adults doing the exact same things.  Wonder were they learned that shaming others is accepteble.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Everyone judges and there is nothing gained by the pretense/lie that some claim to be nonjudgmental. The same ones judging those who are honest in finding this model unattractive see nothing wrong in shaming them.

When I see parents in grocery stores with their young children and carts full of soda, chips, frozen dinners, Lunchables, Twinkies...I judge them as responsible for promoting overweight teenagers, adults and being lousy parents.

I'm not overweight,  never have been, maybe because I had none of that junk food when I was a child.

People make judgements about others everyday, that is a given.  Shaming a person because YOU have judged them by YOUR standards to be less than perfect is not ok. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

There is a difference between judging someone and not thinking they are beautiful.

We can't possibly ALL think EVERYONE is beautiful.

Esteemed Contributor

The whole judging thing is interesting. People are judging the model, then people are judging them by calling them fat shamers. We are ALL making a judgment of some sort.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@minkbunny wrote:

@151949

Seriously?  Personally I've never known anyone who is older , and is very thin who wasn't also pretty crazy. 

That's what I just said.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

The whole judging thing is interesting. People are judging the model, then people are judging them by calling them fat shamers. We are ALL making a judgment of some sort.

There is a difference between making a judgement and being judgemental.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@minkbunny wrote:

@151949

Seriously?  Personally I've never known anyone who is older , and is very thin who wasn't also pretty crazy. 

That's what I just said.

I know and I was asking if you were serious that you have never known a thin older person who was not pretty crazy.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Everyone judges and there is nothing gained by the pretense/lie that some claim to be nonjudgmental. The same ones judging those who are honest in finding this model unattractive see nothing wrong in shaming them.

When I see parents in grocery stores with their young children and carts full of soda, chips, frozen dinners, Lunchables, Twinkies...I judge them as responsible for promoting overweight teenagers, adults and being lousy parents.

I'm not overweight,  never have been, maybe because I had none of that junk food when I was a child.

Well, of course not.  You are above reproach in everything. 

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

There is a difference between judging someone and not thinking they are beautiful.

We can't possibly ALL think EVERYONE is beautiful.

True.  But we can accept that everyone is different and nobody has an obligation to conform to someone else's standards in order for the stadard bearer to feel satisfied.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are ill thin people ,Ill heavy people.alcoholism,drug addiction, obesity,all medical diseases. Should we hide this away? Should the woman on the cover, stay inside, hide? We celebrate life or we should. Way to much misinformation  out there.I have lived with a morbidly obese person  from over 500 lbs down to 200.I am not him, I am thin.He still has the same stress in life.His happiness is the exact same.Now many of his medical problems have resurfaced  for no rhyme or reason. live ,let live. Some attitudes make people unattractive,and that is fixable...No one knows everything,it isn't your call....