Respected Contributor

Re: It should not be celebrated...

Why do you feel it is your business?
Trusted Contributor

@Beauty Maven

You first have to stop calling it a "diet".  Because as we all know, diets are short term and short lived (most of the time).  You need to call it a lifestyle change.  Because any change you do to make yourself healthy should last a life time.  That includes exercising.  It must be a life time goal, not short term.

I starting my healthy life over 10 years ago (it might be longer).  I was over 100 pounds overweight.  It was awful.  So I changed the way I ate and exercised daily, which includes cardio and strength training.  Do I have cookies or a piece of cake?  Absolutely.  Eating healthy isn't about deprevition.  I just don't do it often.  And I don't need to bring back that addiction to sugar again. 

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

What do you do, how is it okay to feel when you consistently see a “fat person” consistently make bad food choices?  I don’t mean they can’t afford better food. At a restaurant where they can easily choose healthy they consistently choose otherwise. And their favorite place to eat is buffets and all-you-can-eat meals. 

Do you encourage them to do better? For how long?  Is your acceptance nothing more than pity?

SO MANY ailments have a root in obesity. 

I don’t fat shame, I don’t pity. I see a lack of discipline. 

@esmerelda.   So esme..tell us about your perfect self. I don't think I have ever, in all the years, seen a post from you that wasn't trying to get in subtle digs, being downright mean or condescending. What pleasure do you get out of it? I could go on but I better not.

Trusted Contributor

@Free2be

Her face is beautiful.  Her body, IMO, is not.  She's very overweight.  And there is nothing pretty about that.  Especially as you get older.  Diabetes, cancer - obese people are at higher risk for all kinds of diseases.  It's a fact.

It's unusual to see an obese person with no excess weight on her face.  So that's what makes her unique.  And that's why she's a model.  If her face had a lot of fat on it, the outcome of being a model might have been different.

Honored Contributor

@comedy clubber wrote:

I do not think taht morbid obesity should be celebrated.  Cosmo UK is wrong to laud the woman on this cover.  I am tired of paying high health insurance premiums because 1/13 of the US American population is morbidly obese.  This cover on Cosmo, and shows like My Big Fat Fabulous Life, and My 600 pound Life are absurd.   Not everyone needs to weigh 100 pounds, but to glorify  obesity is insanity.  I weigh 145 and wish I weighed 130, but I am 100% healthy with the exception of having rheumatoid arthritis.  I cannot get private insurance at a reasonable rate because of the RA.    This is because I have to answer about a preexisting condition, and insurance then assumes the worst due to the obesity rate in this country.  Sorry I am rambling, but why can't we encourage health and discourage obesity.  It not hormones either!

Perhaps, educating yourself about morbid obesity would help you to understand the why's and how's people suffer from this devasting disease. Saying that it isn't hormones is an uneducated statement that studies have proved in individualized cases very ignorant.

A simple google will provide for you many studies regarding genetics and obesity. There are many reasons for a patient being obese other than a simple diagnosis of overeating.

Personally, I think ignorance is something not to be celebrated and ignored. Thus my reply. Educate yourself about the insurance industry too. Obesity is NOT the only reason for rates going up. Sigh.....

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RollTide2008

I don't look down about obese people.  Because I used to be obese myself.  But, I do think to myself, "if only you knew what your obesity can do to you". 

There are many reasons people are obese.  But there are many ways to fix the issue.  No one should have to believe that it's okay being obese.  Because it isn't.  It will eventually wind up making you sick. 

I have the following sign hanging up (still) in my exercise room:

"Being fat is hard.  Losing weight is hard.  You pick your hard".

There's a lot of truth in that statement.  That statement got me through all of the times I wanted to binge myself silly with food as I was losing over 100 lbs. 

It's hard losing weight, but it was harder not being able to tie my shoes, wipe myself properly after going to the bathroom, not being able to get off the floor from a sitting position, putting my socks on, walking a short distance without being out of breath, sitting comfortable in a plane.  The list is endless.  And THAT'S the real reality of being obese, especially as you get older.

Honored Contributor

Was not aware of the magazine cover coming out or who Tess Holliday is until I looked just now.  Lots of different photos of her and she appears to be very happy in her body and her life.  Yet from what we are taught on almost a daily basis this is not healthy weight.  She is beautiful.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11868292

Excellent information about the Science behind morbid obesity.

Respected Contributor

@Qshopper1991, you kinda are judging fat people. It’s bern my experience when someone is judging my weight, they use the “but your health!” argument to try to sound like less of a ******ty person. It generally comes from people like you who don’t know me well enough to care anything about me.

My question remains, why is any adult’s weight anyone’s business unless you’re that person’s physician?
Valued Contributor

Isn't there a happy medium where we can celebrate individual people for their unique attributes and yet decry the public obesity epidemic that affects our health as a population?

I saw this graphic once and it stayed with me.  Perhaps it will be of interest to someone else. 

I did not know that even the brain is affected by excess weight.  It looks like cauliflower in the picture.  The heart is enlarged and the stress to the joints is severe.

It is a terrible problem to have.  We should all be sympathetic to those who are struggling.  It's no joke.

Even so, we should not gloss over the threat to health that obesity presents.  Obesity should be discouraged.  Individuals should be celebrated.  Hopefully we will work together to figure out a way to do both.