Honored Contributor

Re: It should not be celebrated...

[ Edited ]

E54E5985-1864-44DA-96C2-2475FBD73826.jpeg

@sidsmom,  Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if high fashion models don't somewhat resemble this without their clothes, ( I'll probably be eaten alive, but Megan Markel's legs look like this.)  Clothes hide a multitude of sins....either way.  

I'm learning in life to follow the middle pillar...but society sometimes adulates/criticizes the extremes. It takes learning acceptance and loving yourself before you can incorporate healthier changes.  A healthy mind creates a healthy body.  

Most of the people on My 600 Pound Life desperately want to change.  Obviously, they are not flaunting their current life style.  Dr. Now offers them an alternative and, my guess, would be that if he required a healthy nutrient dense lifestyle that the success rate would be above 5%. We know that living a life of calorie restriction is not healthy or realistic. Our weight is a complex issue and I don't doubt that overweight people have attempted many times to remedy obesity.   My heart goes out to those with the courage, motivation, willingness, and persistence to change their lifestyle.

Honored Contributor

@Free2be  Actually the face of the "tatooed" model above is quite stunning also.  I'll bet these models hear constantly, "your face is so beautiful"....with the implication that their body isn't.

@Free2be wrote:

She's beautiful!

https---blueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com-uploads-card-image-837114-21adc97e-1d3a-493a-bf38-395b267a539a.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Evaluating abdominal obesity

The most accurate method is to use computed tomography (CT) or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to measure the amount of visceral fat. But they're expensive and require sophisticated equipment.

A far simpler method is to determine the waist-to-hip ratio. With your abdomen relaxed, measure your waist at the navel. Next, measure your hips at their widest point, usually at the bony prominences. Finally, divide your waist size by your hip size:
Waist (in inches) / Hips (in inches) = ratio

How does your ratio translate into health risk? The chance of suffering a heart attack or stroke increases steadily as a man's ratio rises above 0.95; for women, risk begins to rise above 0.85.

The waist-to-hip ratio is a very useful tool. But many experts are now turning to an even simpler technique: waist circumference. Because it involves one measurement instead of two, it's more accurate and reproducible than the waist-to-hip ratio.

To measure your waist circumference properly, take your shoes off and stand with your feet together. Be sure your belly is bare. Relax and exhale. Using a cloth measuring tape that can't be stretched, not the stiff metal tape from your toolbox, measure your waist at the navel. Be sure to keep the tape parallel to the ground. Record the measurement to the nearest one-tenth of an inch.

Table 2: Interpreting your waist circumference
 MenWomen
Low risk37 inches and below31.5 inches and below
Intermediate risk37.1–39.9 inches31.6–34.9 inches
High risk40 inches and above35 inches and above
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Beauty Maven wrote:

P.S.  I'm starting my diet tomorrow, AGAIN!!

I

@Beauty Maven

Forget the word "diet" and insert the words  "permanent lifestyle change", if you are looking for success. As another poster said "only a small % are successful in keeping off weight", with or without surgical intervention, or just using the word "diet".

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

While "the frame" certainly suffers from that kind of weight(400-600lbs), it is "the organs" which are the most vulnerable. While not visible, adding hundreds of pounds increases their work load to the point of ??

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

You are so right

When your body is young, it's adaptable.

But if someone has been obese most of their life, when they hit their 40s or 50s their organs can't survive the weight.    Like you say, it is a fact.

Your post is spot on.

@SeaMaiden wrote:

The human body is very forgiving and amazingly adapting.  A few pounds over your ideal  weight is fine.....But, the human body is not capable of carrying about  400 to 600 plus pounds on the average human  frame for any period of time without breaking down.  That is just Fact. 

The gal who has the reality show My Fat Fab Life is only fooling herself to act like she is just fine at 400 plus pounds.  She can blame it on whatever cause she wants, and make claims  about how healthy she is and how great it is to be  extremely obese,  but she is going to die an early  death the longer she keeps the weight on. I suppose she makes a good living off of her misery....

I think with these show on extreme obesity....it is more like a side show or carnival show.....they get good ratings because people get off on watching the suffering of others. Plain and simple.  It is just really sad. 

Honored Contributor

And people wonder why individuals who are overweight often feel like second class citizens. 🙄
Respected Contributor

Fat people know they are fat. We don't need anyone to point it out to us.

Even if we seem to be "okay" with being fat or, heaven forbid, actually enjoying out lives, believe me, we still know we are fat & that we offend you.

We also know about health/healthy eating. It is the year 2018. We all have the internet & see all of the news shows that constantly tell people how to eay, what to eat, how much water to drink, etc. We don't need anyone preaching that to use, either. 

And, no I do NOT believe for one second that you give two poos about my "health" or you would care about my mental & emotional health, too.

That is just an "acceptable" way to judge me for being fat, because you would look really shallow & mean if you just flat out said you didn't like me because my butt is wider than house. 

My body likes being fat. I don't know why it prefers it, but it does. I can loose weight, but not by "eating a little less & moving a little more". I have to wage an all out war on my body to make it lose weight & I just don't have it in me. 

So I live my life. Enjoy my husband, my children & my grandsons. Try to be a good person.

But, I always live with the shame. And, I see a person like Tess on a magazine & I want to think maybe this time no one will say anything. Or people will just say "What a beautiful green that swimsuit is." & I won't have to share the shame when people joke that "they must have had to use the front AND the back cover" or when people say "there is another fat person that I hate, but only because they are unhealthy & raising my insurance rates".

Tess knows that she is fat. Yahoo commenters make sure that she doesn't forget for a minute. 

We all know that we are fat & if you can solve all of my problems I'll let you fix my fat, too.

Honored Contributor

@puttypiesmom

While I find these charts interesting to know, I am more in the camp of how efficiently the body functions, aside of a person's waist size and all those ratio's.

Knowing my percentage of muscle to fat ratio is very interesting to me, however! My main interest for decades was and still is, how my major organs function, and they do so efficiently. I am talking about oxygen intake efficiency/intramuscular efficiency/carbon dioxide exhaled efficiency/hearts load efficiency, and so forth.

My waist size tells me none of those more important things about my body, and how it functions at any given weight. The aforementioned numbers do. I have had these types of tests done since the early 1980's, at several different weights and waist sizes. Those numbers and sizes had little effect on the how my major body parts functioned most efficiently.

Appreciate the info you provided in your post as it is always better to have more knowledge.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I agree with you but Medicare doesn't.

@hckynut wrote:

@puttypiesmom

While I find these charts interesting to know, I am more in the camp of how efficiently the body functions, aside of a person's waist size and all those ratio's.

Knowing my percentage of muscle to fat ratio is very interesting to me, however! My main interest for decades was and still is, how my major organs function, and they do so efficiently. I am talking about oxygen intake efficiency/intramuscular efficiency/carbon dioxide exhaled efficiency/hearts load efficiency, and so forth.

My waist size tells me none of those more important things about my body, and how it functions at any given weight. The aforementioned numbers do. I have had these types of tests done since the early 1980's, at several different weights and waist sizes. Those numbers and sizes had little effect on the how my major body parts functioned most efficiently.

Appreciate the info you provided in your post as it is always better to have more knowledge.

hckynut(john)