Valued Contributor

Re: It's time for Garage Sales!

I like to go to garage sales if I'm in the mood and the weather is decent and not too hot.  I just went to one last weekend and bought a nice solid oak mission table for 8 bucks.  Now that is a bargain!  I usually go with something particular in mind and don't buy a bunch of other peoples junk ( got enough of my own, thanks)..

I've had several garage sales and I'm not interested in having another one.  If I don't want something, it either goes to my kids, my brothers, or is donated.  I don't like having to deal with people trying to get something for nothing and having to deal with the stuff that didn't sell afterwards.  I just donate it....

Trusted Contributor

I love garage sales and flea markets and auctions, but don't go much. Garage sales are always early and I'm a night owl, so I'm usually too late for sales. I sometimes catch the flea market toward the end of the day. We used to have a great country auction in town, but the man that ran it passed away. I miss it but I have a few nice treasures to show for it. Also I have a lot of junk at home, I'm trying to weed out, so I gotta be cool about my junking.

Respected Contributor

I like to attend them - Never hosted one.  I've had good luck, especially with exercise equipment.  One time, the guy was so happy to unload it, he offered to deliver it to our home, since we don't own a truck.

Honored Contributor

I use to love them. Now I do not want to collect any more "stuff". So I do not go to any of them. I need to start down sizing.

Honored Contributor

I've only had one garage sale and will never have another one.  It's just not worth all the trouble for the little amount of money I made.  I've been to a few but not many.  I've never found anything very interesting at one.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I've never hosted a garage sale nor have I ever visited/attended one.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I had one and will never do that again.  I have never been to one.

Respected Contributor

Tomorrow is our town's yard sale day. I am barricading myself in the house. They will be out there as soon as the birds start chirping. I never participate but people park on my grass and block my driveway.

Esteemed Contributor

Negative - don't hold them - don't go to them.  Donate useable items to the mission and/or give to friends.  Can't be bothered....have too much of my own junk - don't need more used stuff.

Honored Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

Well, they've probably been going on for awhile now, but now that I'm out of school I'm ready to hit some and see if I can find anything good.  

What do you think about garage/yard/rummage sales?  Do you have them?  Do you enjoy going to them?  Has anyone NEVER had or been to a garage sale?  Any good, bad or ugly stories about garage sales?  Smiley Happy

Garage sales, no - estate sales, yes.   I look for pictures in frames, I take the pictures out and put my own pictures in the frames.   New, nice ornate frames are so pricey.

I might buy a unique cookbook.   Since I have pets, I always need extra towels for their bath or nice sheets to cover their beds.  Most of the stuff at estate sales can be "collections" and people just don't collect anymore.   I might purchase a unique lamp or kitchen item.   I love anything mid-century, so I'm a sucker for that stuff.   I rarely go, I get an email weekly of the local estates sales.   You have to go early to get the good stuff, otherwise you are wasting your time.   There are many little antique shops and consignment stores & those guys go early like a ninja and get the best stuff.