Honored Contributor

Re: It's that time of year again...Flu Shots!

@Lipstickdiva The point is that my mother has multiple health issues including an immune disease and now cancer. Ok? 

I don't care what the cause is, no health care worker should be working around patients with a hacking persistent cough. She was at the elevator covering her mouth with her arm while coughing..inside and outside the office and elevator. I'm not going to ask them what the medical reason for it is. Not appropriate, and the patient relations agreed.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva The point is that my mother has multiple health issues including an immune disease and now cancer. Ok? 

I don't care what the cause is, no health care worker should be working around patients with a hacking persistent cough. She was at the elevator covering her mouth with her arm while coughing..inside and outside the office and elevator. I'm not going to ask them what the medical reason for it is. Not appropriate, and the patient relations agreed.

@Greeneyedlady21, I was just asking a question so there was no need to get snippy.  I'm sorry for the health issues your mom is having.  I know how tough that can be.  My mom fought 2 different cancers at 2 different times and the testing and treatments and appointments are a lot to handle.  I wish her the best with her treatments.   

Unfortunately, hospitals aren't clean at all and besides other patients' illnesses, there are visitors who come in ill and staff that come to work ill.  Hospitals are some of the germiest places.   

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

My mother is 81 and having surgery next week. So I asked her endo, the dr of hers that I trust the most, and he said do it before the surgery. As long as she has done well with the shot in the past, and she has. Considering the fact that we went to a hospital today for a special test and several people WORKING there had hacking coughs, I'm glad we both got a flu shot.

People showing up to work in a hospital with hacking coughs. People with direct patient contact. 

I might be missing the point but a hacking cough isn't necessarily the flu.  It could be from allergies.  Hay fever season is in full swing here in Ohio.

I also know there has been some kind of cold going around that a ton of  people have.  My poor SIL got it and it's been 2 weeks and she still sounds terrible.   

The allergy season is in full bloom here in Massachusetts as well, unfortunately I'm one of those people who suffer with the hacking cough. I developed asthma a few years ago in the fall. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

My mother is 81 and having surgery next week. So I asked her endo, the dr of hers that I trust the most, and he said do it before the surgery. As long as she has done well with the shot in the past, and she has. Considering the fact that we went to a hospital today for a special test and several people WORKING there had hacking coughs, I'm glad we both got a flu shot.

People showing up to work in a hospital with hacking coughs. People with direct patient contact. 

I might be missing the point but a hacking cough isn't necessarily the flu.  It could be from allergies.  Hay fever season is in full swing here in Ohio.

I also know there has been some kind of cold going around that a ton of  people have.  My poor SIL got it and it's been 2 weeks and she still sounds terrible.   

The allergy season is in full bloom here in Massachusetts as well, unfortunately I'm one of those people who suffer with the hacking cough. I developed asthma a few years ago in the fall. 

@JaneMarple, I know several people who have horrible allergies and that get that hacking cough that sounds awful but what they have isn't catchy.   

Honored Contributor

I usually wait until October to get mine.  There was a sign up at CVS that there was already at least one confirmed case of the flu in our area, so I went ahead and got one.  I know it takes two weeks to kick in.  It's been years since I've had the flu.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Why do we have these flu shot threads every year? There are signs promoting them everywhere so it's not a matter of informing those who may be unaware.

Those who want them can get them and those who don't should be left alone about it. These threads are meant to persuade, worry, guilt others into doing something they would rather not. Worse, this something is a foreign substance injected into their bodies. It's presumptuous and just wrong. 

Honored Contributor

@Pruett wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Tallgal wrote:

Is a flu shot necessary?  Last year a went and had a flu shot and then in December I had the flu.  Other people where I work also had the flu.   We were wondering if the flu vaccine we received was weak or something wrong with it.  It took over 2 weeks to get rid of the flu.   I am wondering if the shot really helps because I had the shot and was very sick.   So should I wait to get the shot or not get it at all?  I am a heathy person so wonder if the flu shot is a good idea for me?

@Tallgal

Depends on so many things .... and personal preference.  In the past 25 years, I've only gotten 3 flu shots, and those were the only years I got the flu ... approximately 10 weeks after I got the shot.   Go figure.  I no longer get a flu shot.

@Tinkrbl44

Did the doctor verify you actually had flu those 3 times? I've been reading and many times what we report as flu isn't actual influenza. 

@Pruett

Yes .... I went to the MD all 3 times, and she confirmed it and treated me for it  .... although the office automatically asks everyone when they come in if they want the shot, I now pass on it.    

Respected Contributor

I have never had one and never will.....that being said I wish everyone a happy healthy Fall  xo

Valued Contributor

Already got mine but usually wait till October.  Got the pnuemonia shot too.

Respected Contributor

Went to the doctor on Wednesday, she advised me to wait until mid to late October before getting a flu shot.