Honored Contributor

Re: It's that time of year again...Flu Shots!

We get them at work in mid October.  The dates haven't been sent out yet.  I go whenever they give them, I don't pay attention if it's too early or too late.  I leave that up to the nurses office to figure out.  I haven't had the flu, so it must be okay.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I got one every year.  Then last year I didn't get one.  I never got the flu.

I'm like a nut job about germs.  As soon as I get in my car or touch something I use hand sanitizer.  Just me....I've always done that.

I'm not around a lot of people very often that probably helps.

Don't you post about meeting a friend for lunch regularly?  Food servers don't get paid if they don't show up for work.

Honored Contributor

No shots for us. I don't know if DH gets them but the kids and I don't.

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

We get them at work in mid October.  The dates haven't been sent out yet.  I go whenever they give them, I don't pay attention if it's too early or too late.  I leave that up to the nurses office to figure out.  I haven't had the flu, so it must be okay.

We got our notice from the nurse this week.

We get our shots in 2 weeks

At 9am

Honored Contributor

@Tallgal wrote:

Is a flu shot necessary?  Last year a went and had a flu shot and then in December I had the flu.  Other people where I work also had the flu.   We were wondering if the flu vaccine we received was weak or something wrong with it.  It took over 2 weeks to get rid of the flu.   I am wondering if the shot really helps because I had the shot and was very sick.   So should I wait to get the shot or not get it at all?  I am a heathy person so wonder if the flu shot is a good idea for me?

A flu vaccine is a hit or miss.  There are many, many strains of the flu.  The medical community tries to guess which ones will be around every year and sometimes they miss.  There is no one vaccine that will prevent all strains of the flu.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@yellowBeetle wrote:

Have read that October is preferable....but even more important is to get the shot in the morning before 11:00!! 

Studies have shown that those who get the shot in the morning have more success with not getting the flu...or if they do get the flu, they get a less severe case. Doctors really do not understand exactly why, lol ..... but the data is there!!

So my husband and I will get our shots some Saturday morning in October before 11:00!!😉😉

Before 11:00 which time zone?   If a person on the west coast gets their shot at 10:30 am, it's already 1:30 pm on the east coast.  How does that work?

Oops, I noticed that someone already asked this question.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66

Often times the flu shot does not cover the most popular strain of the flu that will be prevalent that season 

They decide on which strains  to use in the flu shot well before that season so there's no way of knowing 

I believe they are good for people with compromised immune systems or the elderly 

But our bodies are supposed to fight the flu without it 

And if you must get it the nasal version does not have the Mercury  I believe it has it's purpose for some but unfortunately has grown to be a huge moneymaker for the pharmaceutical companies 

Trusted Contributor

Not here.  Unless you have other health issues, or are prone to getting the flu, it doesn't seem to do a lot.  I won't take the risk.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Gsmom wrote:

@Annabellethecat66

Often times the flu shot does not cover the most popular strain of the flu that will be prevalent that season 

They decide on which strains  to use in the flu shot well before that season so there's no way of knowing 

I believe they are good for people with compromised immune systems or the elderly 

And if you must get it the nasal version does not have the Mercury  I believe it has it's purpose for some but unfortunately has grown to be a huge moneymaker for the pharmaceutical companies 

When the vaccine first became available, no one wanted it, and then the government started the big promotion.  Anything to save the industry.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

@Gsmom wrote:

@Annabellethecat66

When the vaccine first became available, no one wanted it, and then the government started the big promotion.  Anything to save the industry.

@Blahblahvampemer

What industry?

Could you tell me please where I can read about this: 

"When the vaccine first became available, no one wanted it, and then the government started the big promotion."

I tried google but don't see this history. 

Thanks!