Trusted Contributor

Re: It's that time of year again...Flu Shots!

@Kachina624  My county health department just announced the date for their annual flu shots, October 21.  I was glad to hear that.  

Honored Contributor

@flickerbulb wrote:

I got mine 8/21 as soon as I saw they were available.

It does not wear off by a certain date. I always get it early and have not gotten sick.

If anyone were to get sick, it would be me. I work in Cootie Central and have snotty kids sneezing and hacking at me all year.

I also touch surfaces and papers that the same snotsters were touching.

So, for me, getting the flu shot early works. One size does not fit all. Get the shot at your own discretion when it works for you.

@flickerbulb

I love your post!

Snotsters 😄

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@Noel7 Thank you so much. Unfortunately that's just the beginning, I got the worst possible phone call earlier this month. But I really appreciate your wishes.

Also I called patient relations at that hospital and filed a complaint. The coughing was just one bad part among many.

My whole life lately is wake me up when September ends.

I'm sorry @Greeneyedlady21

🤞🏻

Trusted Contributor

@fthunt  The drug stores in my area have flu shot signs all year.  Smiley Surprised

Trusted Contributor

Have read that October is preferable....but even more important is to get the shot in the morning before 11:00!! 

Studies have shown that those who get the shot in the morning have more success with not getting the flu...or if they do get the flu, they get a less severe case. Doctors really do not understand exactly why, lol ..... but the data is there!!

So my husband and I will get our shots some Saturday morning in October before 11:00!!😉😉

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband (lung cancer survivor) saw his pulmonary doctor recently and he said not to get the flu shot before October 1.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@yellowBeetle wrote:

Have read that October is preferable....but even more important is to get the shot in the morning before 11:00!! 

Studies have shown that those who get the shot in the morning have more success with not getting the flu...or if they do get the flu, they get a less severe case. Doctors really do not understand exactly why, lol ..... but the data is there!!

So my husband and I will get our shots some Saturday morning in October before 11:00!!😉😉

@yellowBeetle

Thank you for that information!  

I checked it out and numerous sources are quoting the study, saying before 11am the flu shot is three times more effective!

PS... 9 to 11 am, specifically.

Esteemed Contributor

I can't resist.............(sorry) ........is that 11:00 Eastern time zone - or Central - or Mountain - or Pacific 11:00?   Haven't had my flu shot yet - so need to know.    (wink)

Honored Contributor

When I was working (hospital) we got our flu shots free. They never gave them before the third week in September and subsequently moved it permanently to mid October. I figure they know what they're doing, regarding the general population and immunity strength and how long good immunity lasts, in an age range from 20 to 70.

I know that most of the time when the media starts reporting about flu outbreaks on the nightly news, it's after Xmas - usually in January-March. I personally would want to be fully covered from just before Thanksgiving through April, and for me, waiting until the 2nd or 3rd week in October does that.

I wonder how many people who complain that they got a flu shot but got the flu anyway received their shot in early September and got the flu in March or April.

Of course, people should follow their doctor's advice. 

If I was in my 80s I think I would want two shots - Sept and maybe early January.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fthunt wrote:

I can't resist.............(sorry) ........is that 11:00 Eastern time zone - or Central - or Mountain - or Pacific 11:00?   Haven't had my flu shot yet - so need to know.    (wink)

@fthunt

I assume it's time zone specific, depending on your circadian rhythm 😏