Honored Contributor

It's that time of year again...Flu Shots!

DH and I just got our shots today at his employer. Glad to get that overwith...

Between my age and being a lung cancer survivor, it is a must...

Honored Contributor

Re: It's that time of year again...Flu Shots!

I just read yesterday that it's better to wait until mid-October to get your shot.  You are more likely to maintain your immunity through the worst of the flu season.  They said it was especially important for seniors. 

I saw my doctor last week and asked about it but they had not received the vaccine.  They're having a shot clinic in mid October so I made an appointment. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

We got ours earlier this month. The grocery store by us was offering free $10 gift cards with each flu shot. Couldn’t pass that up!

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Regular Contributor

FYI...........I was reading just yesterday that getting a flu shot before October not such a good idea as it's full efficacy diminsihes by the time the flu season hits - Jan/Feb. Did your MD suggest you get one this early?

Esteemed Contributor

We never get ours before mid October.Don't want to risk the immunity wearing off before the season ends!!

Honored Contributor

@bluehost wrote:

FYI...........I was reading just yesterday that getting a flu shot before October not such a good idea as it's full efficacy diminsihes by the time the flu season hits - Jan/Feb. Did your MD suggest you get one this early?

Our doctor sent us an email last Friday saying that flu shots were in and to come in and get one. So I guess he’s ok with September shots. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

It's ONLY one week to October - why make this lovely lady worry that she did something wrong.  Sandwich signs out front of every drug store (for a month) saying.....Get Your Flu Shot here. It takes 2 weeks to 'kick in' and protect you.

Honored Contributor

FYI:

Last year I got the flu shot at Walgreens, the pharmacist administered it, $30.

I get it free from my doctor but I was really pushed for time.  Walgreens was close by and no waiting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Got my flu shot last Friday at Costco.  Also free.  

Regular Contributor

Or he wants to 'sell' the flu shots that his office has bought. It's too early people!