Honored Contributor

Re: It's summer! What was your worst sunburn?

@CAMOGIRL wrote:

When I was a teenager, My friend from next door and I decided to get a jump on our tan for the upcoming bikini season... With a mixture of Johnson's baby oil and iodine. Well - not very smart at all - talk about being red as a lobster... it was pretty sore for quite a few days and then the peeling began - oh that was just wonderful.... To say the least the bottles of the baby oil and iodine got tossed into the trash - real quick!! 

I've never heard of the iodine with baby oil thing, is the iodine supposed to be a homemade version of a fake tan?

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AKgirl2 wrote:

Summer of '68, Jones Beach (Long Island, NY)...my college friends and I decided we needed a day off from classes...5 girls, one tube of Bain de Soleil (orange gelee'), sunscreen content?  All day in the sun, we all fell asleep, and paid dearly with horrible sunburns...my skin cracked and I peeled in chunks...

Oh gosh, I think the orange one is SPF 4 maybe. My mom used to use that, completely useless as she's so pale that she glows in the dark. And yes, she's had skin cancer. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom ` yes! iodine, coke, orange juice.....i've used it all!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

Summer1972, spent an entire Sunday out at the pool.  Sick as a dog.

Summer 1996, out by the pool (did not go in the water), completely covered except bare feet.  Forgot to reapply sunscreen, badly burned feet & ankles.  Sck as a dog again.  A blister on one ankle got as big as a chicken egg, so I went to the doc.  Everyone who worked in that clinic came into the exam room to look as no one there had ever seen anything so bad.  No more sunning for me.

Esteemed Contributor

1992 in Montego Bay, Jamaica.  I roasted and toasted.  I did peel, but no burns to speak of so I was never in any pain.

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

I burned my legs really bad on picnic day a few years ago.  I had suncreen everywhere except there.

In 2002 when I went to Hawaii for spring break, I religiously used sunscreen --- except I forgot my ears.  It hurt like heck.

Esteemed Contributor

My feet! So absolutely painful!!!

I couldn't bare to wear shoes of any kind for several days.
Honored Contributor

I feel a bit better now that I'm know I'm not the only one who sunscreened-up but forgot my feet.  That, and yes, ears, are not something we always think of as far as sunscreen. Scalp, either.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

My worse burn wasn't by the sun, but by a sunlamp!  I was getting married in early June and thought I would look better with some color.  So I bought a sunlamp (this was in 1958 - don't think they are available now).  Unfortunately, I fell asleep under it and got a severe blistery burn on my face and chest- big ugly blisters which eventually broke and peeled - wasn't pretty - 2 weeks before the wedding!  Doctor was afraid I would be scared but luckily, that didn't happen!  Lesson learned!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@gonnab wrote:

My worse burn wasn't by the sun, but by a sunlamp!  I was getting married in early June and thought I would look better with some color.  So I bought a sunlamp (this was in 1958 - don't think they are available now).  Unfortunately, I fell asleep under it and got a severe blistery burn on my face and chest- big ugly blisters which eventually broke and peeled - wasn't pretty - 2 weeks before the wedding!  Doctor was afraid I would be scared but luckily, that didn't happen!  Lesson learned!!!

OMG, I had forgotten that one of my college friends had a sunlamp and we all used to put our faces under it before a date!  Crazy!!