Super Contributor

Re: It's snowing out west in the Rockies

My husband was watching the squirels hiding their winter acorns and nuts high up in the trees. Makes me think we will get a lot of snow.

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree. I am in central NY.  I get a chuckle watching the weather reports during the winter season.  I understand when an area gets their first snow in 5 or so years they will not be prepared but usually they gat a warning it is coming.  If need be go to the store if you need to and stay home until the roads are ready.   Areas that get snow yearly should be prepared at all times.  I shovel my driveway myself, even at 72.  When the snow is deep I shovel about 3 car lengths so I can get my car off the road away from the plows.    Then I make a path to the house, about 60 ft.  I can count on the high winds will fill all in as soon as I drive away.  That is life and my winter exercise.  I remember several times when the roads in our area where closed for days and rarely weeks.  Navy helicopters came with supplies for neighbors on the hill in sight above us.  The children look forward to "snow days".   I dread getting 24" in a single storm now because it blows and piles up over the weeks.  Once the roads are cleared we would meet to have a bond fire, roast hotdogs,make smores and sled ride.  Great family fun that everyone can afford.  So many "family" activities are priced out of the price range of many people.   Thank goodness Mother Nature gives us many opportunities 12 months per year, especially out here in the country.  We have had snow on Halloween occasionally and often before Thanksgiving but then it can be all melted by Christmas.  I do love a white Christmas with dry, safe roads.   ;-)

Honored Contributor

@bowlicious wrote:

My husband was watching the squirels hiding their winter acorns and nuts high up in the trees. Makes me think we will get a lot of snow.

@bowlicious,

That's a scarey thought..."high up in the trees". Could mean a ton of snow is coming.

Respected Contributor

Gulp!!

Did I say I dislike winter? DISLIKE!

Valued Contributor

I hope this will not be a bad winter people already have a hard time driving when the the weather is nice.

Respected Contributor

A60_Chevy wrote

I hope this will not be a bad winter people already have a hard time driving when the the weather is nice.

Ain't that the truth!!

Valued Contributor

Wise squirels.  

We should follow the leaders.

Valued Contributor

Wise squirels,

We should follow the leaders.

Honored Contributor

I was volunteering at the local food bank this morning and everyone was saying we would have cold winter because the spiders were out so early.  Our last three winters were very warm for us in the PNW.  No lowland snow at all (I am not complaining!).   

Valued Contributor

Have fun with the first snow day.