Trusted Contributor

Re: It's beginning to look a lot like an EXPENSIVE Christmas

We have two Christmas trees; we ordered one when our last tree (old one from my parents) never made it to Florida when we moved. The tree, one week before Christmas had still not shipped (ordered it from Lowes and was in stock in early October when we ordered it). So, I hit up Walmart the week of Christmas and bought their floor model, pre-lit 7 footer for $35 (was $200). On Christmas Eve, our 10 foot tree from Lowes arrived. They had refunded our money because they had lost track of it/shipping couldn't track it. 

It's still in the box and we're not sure if we'll keep it or donate it. Lowes said to keep so, we did.

Gift wise will be small as the boys don't need nor ask for much.  Books, models to build and specific sweets are about it. We'll send a food basket to the grandparents. DH and I don't exchange gifts.

Stocking up on food items is my true concern.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

Christmas can be as expensive or inexpensive as you make it.  I think most of us have more decorations than we can use each year.

Esteemed Contributor

Whew! I am thanking my lucky stars that I am not in need of one.😁

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm on a fixed income and believe me I'm feeling it.

It's going to get a lot worse. Sad to Say!!!

Honored Contributor

@Duckncover wrote:

Low-income folks as well as fixed-income are already having a hard time. I saw an older man at the grocery store last week with just a few things in his shopping cart....he was walking around the store carefully putting some of his things back on the shelves...he kept counting and adding on his calculator. I wanted to buy his entire cart of things for him, which wasn't much, but knew he would be offended if I offered. He had things like one potato, one carrot, one pint of milk, etc. It made me sad. I am more fortunate than he is...and even I think twice before buying some things if the price has jumped up too much since the last time I bought it. 

@Duckncover 

This makes me SO sad.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Duckncover wrote:

Low-income folks as well as fixed-income are already having a hard time. I saw an older man at the grocery store last week with just a few things in his shopping cart....he was walking around the store carefully putting some of his things back on the shelves...he kept counting and adding on his calculator. I wanted to buy his entire cart of things for him, which wasn't much, but knew he would be offended if I offered. He had things like one potato, one carrot, one pint of milk, etc. It made me sad. I am more fortunate than he is...and even I think twice before buying some things if the price has jumped up too much since the last time I bought it. 

@DuckncoverThat is the saddest thing.  Woman Sad

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I miss baking at Christmas.  I will not be baking again this year, either.  Too many people are doing without so baking just seems frivolous now.   I have some sugar, not much, and some baking powder but that's it. 

We haven't had a tree in a very long time and I just put out the crafts I made for each holiday.

Nothing feels right anymore.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Think I know who's to blame for ALL these price increases!!!

Respected Contributor

Boy am I glad Christmas is just another day to me. All this worry and angst can't be healthy.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Super Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I miss baking at Christmas.  I will not be baking again this year, either.  Too many people are doing without so baking just seems frivolous now.   I have some sugar, not much, and some baking powder but that's it. 

We haven't had a tree in a very long time and I just put out the crafts I made for each holiday.

Nothing feels right anymore.

If you enjoy baking, why don't you bake cookies or whatever for presents for people who are in need?  That's not frivolous and I'm sure it would be appreciated.

If baking a few cookies is frivolous, then I am!

Man plans. God laughs.