Esteemed Contributor

Re: It's beginning to look a lot like an EXPENSIVE Christmas

I've had Valerie's 7 1/2 foot glistening slim tree and love it. This Summer I bought the 3 foot size for a table, It was $24. On lunchtime specials and free shipping. Christmas in July it went up to about $44! 
  Big lots has decent trees and good sales. 
  BUT.....My yard service sent a letter that grass seed has increased from $80 a bag to $130! I have a huge yard! They say they will only charge more for what is used on my yard. I might skip it this year and let the leaves fall! 

Trusted Contributor

@RhondaRena wrote:

I think more will be concerned about providing a Christmas meal. I was speaking to an employee at Sams last week and she said between shortages and rising prices she was very concerned for people. Turkeys and hams will be in short supply. She said shortages were going to get worse. I went ahead and put a turkey breast in the freezer incase she is right. We garden and preserve food but I picked up extra flour,  rice , and oats.

@RhondaRena    I had heard that too.  I don't eat ham, so that doesn't affect me.  
My little grandkids like turkey, but it's sometimes hard for them to chew.  Last year, we picked up the Hormel turkey breast slices in gravey and it was a huge hit. Very tender.    I see it is already in short supply.  So far, I have picked up 3 boxes when I can find it, and have them in the freezer.  I have only found them at Walmart. 

Honored Contributor

I am only going to gift my sister, brother-in-law, and two great nephews this year. Buying gifts for everyone is getting too expensive since I am retired. 

Will be using the decor I have, putting up a 6 ft. tree I have had for years in the living room and a 3 ft. tree that I have in the den. 

Respected Contributor

Prices have increased BUT there are plenty of bargains if you take the time to comparison shop & think outside the box. I enjoy getting Christmas ornaments every year so I always go to Cracker Barrel & see what they have for .99, this year I bought the foiled silver stars & the red with white decorated wooden trees & mittens ...all so cute & well made. I also found the Christmas tree I wanted on the Nearly Natural website so shopped around found it at a huge discount on the Home Depot website & it was dropped shipped to my door in 3 days by Nearly Natural. I always buy ahead so my Christmas gift shopping is done too.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My kids and I usually bake and make chocolate treats for several of our neighbors every year for Christmas (with the exception of last year due to covid). We buy gift baskets and decorate them. It's a fun project that we really enjoy and the neighbors look forward to it. I mean, I have to say, the baskets looked like something you would buy.

But, this year may mimic last year, meaning no baskets, but not because of Covid. I've seen prices of baskets alone that make me shake my head. Prices for baking ingredients and chocolate making have gone up as well. We may have to think of something else to give.

Also, we'll probably cut back on the gift giving as well. That's just the way it is right now, but better days are just around the corner...

Trusted Contributor

Our local food bank has expanded their reach and are filling up car trunks with food this week after they thought the demand was dwindling. It hasn't. Regardless of what we cook or buy for the holidays this year, it is going to cost a lot more. 

Trusted Contributor

We never miss it! 

Trusted Contributor

Low-income folks as well as fixed-income are already having a hard time. I saw an older man at the grocery store last week with just a few things in his shopping cart....he was walking around the store carefully putting some of his things back on the shelves...he kept counting and adding on his calculator. I wanted to buy his entire cart of things for him, which wasn't much, but knew he would be offended if I offered. He had things like one potato, one carrot, one pint of milk, etc. It made me sad. I am more fortunate than he is...and even I think twice before buying some things if the price has jumped up too much since the last time I bought it. 

Honored Contributor

I was at COSTCO's this week and saw XMas trees that were $900.  Very expensive.

I am putting up my three foot flocked tree and donating the three large expensive trees in my basement.

Too much trouble for me.  I have never enjoyed putting up a tree.  I just don't see the need for one.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have a small gift list, all family.  A couple of years ago we started exchanging "token gifts" with the "biggie" being an IOU.

For example, my niece and her husband gave me an IOU to prepare the yard for spring.  I gave them an IOU for a favorite dinner, something they have not been able to master no matter how hard they try. 

Simple things that one party can do better than the other.  Always much appreciated and generally costs little to nothing.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.