Esteemed Contributor

Re: It's beginning to look a lot like an EXPENSIVE Christmas

[ Edited ]

DH and I went out to one of our favorite restaurants about a week ago.  It’s a place the closest thing to a Jewish deli in our area.  There’s a large dining area and, of course, all sorts of deli and baked items you can buy to take home.  They do a fantastic business, and offer great dinners at good prices.

As we left, I noticed a sign advising customers of anticipated shortages of certain items.  One of those was Purdue chicken.  Eeks!  Their chicken pot pie is to die for.

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

So many people replace their artificial tree when there's nothing wrong with their old one.  Of course, they may donate the old one to Goodwill, and that helps someone out in theory at least.

@ValuSkr   We got an artificial tree the year we got married. Kept it for about 15 years. It was the kind you had to put each branch in the pole. Upgraded to one that has all the branches in place and the body comes in three sections. So much easier - and faster. We donated our old tree to our church for their flea market.

Have no intention of ever getting another one.

Esteemed Contributor

You can still cut your own in designated areas of a national forest for $10-$20. Call in advance and get a permit at the ranger station.

No MIC label and you can recycle.

Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT    Speaking of chicken . . . . .

Our local stores have had shortages from time to time. Right now it seems to have leveled off. 

The price of chicken wings in restaurants . . . WOW. They used to be cheap eats, now the price on some of the menus have them listed as "Market Price", just like lobster tail. Several of our restaurants said that they won't pay the price and dropped them from their menus.

Honored Contributor

Glad we already have one. Won't be expesive Christmas for us because we are not buying. LOL!!!

It's going to be another Bah Humbug Christmas.

Bah Humbug Face Mask 758606519470 | eBay

Respected Contributor

Balsam Hill is the Cadillac of artificial Christmas trees. There are plenty of other options that aren’t a $200 increase over last year.
Honored Contributor

I agree it will be more expensive this year.  I already have all my gifts.  Picked up some Christmas ribbon at Costco today.   I just have to pick up a live tree and wreath which I figure will be more expensive then usual but they are local (and not plastic) so I don't think I will have a problem obtaining them.  As far as food I will wait and see - maybe a Chinese or Vietnamese Christmas dinner?

Esteemed Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
Balsam Hill is the Cadillac of artificial Christmas trees. There are plenty of other options that aren’t a $200 increase over last year.

You can also find BH from resellers that have customer returns on ebay.

Honored Contributor

Do you buy a new artificial Christmas tree each year? I just get mine out of the attic and put it together. I don't want or need an annual upgrade like with a car.

Balsam Hill should figure out how to make their trees and components in the USA.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

At the risk of being a Ba Humbug....there people who need a reset button.

My friend and her family spend a few thousand dollars on their Christmas lists.

They make up these lists that are outrageous.  She tells me about them. 

My friend doesn't but out much so she gets tons of gift cards.  Meanwhile she goes crazy getting the things these people wants.  She does something that seems smart to me.  She busy Amazon gift cards and us es them to buy the gifts rather than using one of her credit cards. 

Starting soon, she'll be getting their lists.  What isn't purchased by the adults, her sister buys what's left.  That's in addition to what she's already bought.

In our family We mainly get gifts for the children.  I have 8 grandchildren with 7 living.  Their mothers (my 2 daughters) have them makeup lists of reasonable things.

Usually my oldest daughter(with the 4 children) will sometimes buy something the 9 year old really wants and makes it come from me.  I pay her for it.

My other daughter, as I've gotten old(er), asks that I give her money and she buys for her 3 children and picks one each from me. She lives in Florida, I live in Virginia.

My youngest daughter is in Colorado.  She and her boyfriend goes to a town there where she knows she'll have snow in a little cabin.  I mail ahead a few things for both of them and lots for her dog.

I spend Christmas Day with my oldest daughter and her family; as well as my son-in-law's family.  There's lots of good food and laughter and fellowship.

No one is stressed out because we don't go overboard with money and/or gifts.

With my back so jacked up, I can't walk in stores.  When my husband was alive I hosted everything.  However over the years my oldest daughter took over.

I have trees, etc but I don't decorate much anymore.  It's more fun to go to my daughter's houses.

So, getting back to people worrying, it's stupid the amount of money people spend on gifts.

My youngest daughter, stays in Colorado.  She makes a huge meal for her boyfriend.  Then together they make gift bags for the huge amount of homeless people that live in Denver.

She gives them food and in a separate bag put in personal items they can use and/or trade with each other.  She also does it at various times during the year.

It would be nice if more people helped others by spending lesson themselves and their families.

I live in an area where most people work in some way for the government.  That means come H&LL or High Water, they will always get paid.  

As I've gotten older I've come to realize that life isn't fair, unfortunately.  

Anyway (my daughter #3 youngest) nickname, tells me I use that word a lot.

Where was I?  Oh! OK.  That's my take on this subject.