Honored Contributor

Re: It's back to school day in our county today

Unless they're doing the year-around thing, whereby the kids get several month long breaks throughout the year rather than a 'summer vacation' starting back to school in July just seems ludicrous... They keep extending the school year, but I don't personally think that means anyone is getting a better education... It's almost reached the point where year-around school needs to be universally adopted or there ought to be a national start and end date... Leaving all this up to local jurisdictions is making less and less sense... as they just keep pushing the envelope... Access to technology aside, it wouldn't seem most kids today are any smarter for spending more time in school...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

On July 31st.  Yes, July 31st.  

That just seems crazy to me.  I grew up in Boston and NJ.  We went back the day after Labor Day.

I leave the house every morning at 7:50 to walk at a center a few miles away..  Back to heavier traffic.

People with school age children saying "the summer is over".  Not in my eyes.  It's still July!

@gidgetgh wrote:

On July 31st.  Yes, July 31st.  

That just seems crazy to me.  I grew up in Boston and NJ.  We went back the day after Labor Day.

I leave the house every morning at 7:50 to walk at a center a few miles away..  Back to heavier traffic.

People with school age children saying "the summer is over".  Not in my eyes.  It's still July!

On days like this I'm so happy I'm retired now!

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh - Are you sure this isn't back to school for year-round schools? When DD was in elementary school we had the option of this, or the regular school year most of us are used to. We opted for the latter. DD went back around August 15 and was out shortly after Mother's Day. 

The kids that had year-round school had a month's break in the summer and winter (I think January), and extended holiday breaks/two-week breaks. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@redwingsgal  We must be relics!  I don't have kids either and I guess that was a good thing because their little behinds would remain little by walking to a bus stop and or walking to the school.  

I wonder who breaks it to these kids that their future employer will not be picking them up every morning or sending a car by to get them to the office?  Oh wait, I have real money mom does that now too.   

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@gidgetgh - Are you sure this isn't back to school for year-round schools? When DD was in elementary school we had the option of this, or the regular school year most of us are used to. We opted for the latter. DD went back around August 15 and was out shortly after Mother's Day. 

The kids that had year-round school had a month's break in the summer and winter (I think January), and extended holiday breaks/two-week breaks. Smiley Happy

@beach-mom  Nope!  This is the regular GA school systems.  The kids do get large breaks like a week in fall, a month over the holidays, and another extra long spring break.  Someone else listed all the days they get off.  It's ridiculous.  They also close for cold weather (below 30 degrees) and heaven help you if it snows an inch or just a dusting.  Add another week or two off.

Honored Contributor

Teachers go back next week here. Kids will start classes mid-month.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@beach-mom- nope, we're not on year round school. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Some schools that go back this early are year round schools with  1 week breaks every 2 months.

Honored Contributor

My state signed into law a year or so ago for schools to start after Labor Day. EVERYONE is thrilled, lol. Kids still get out the same time in June (end of 2nd week).

Honored Contributor

I am in southern WV, and my teacher daughter starts back to school next week with 3 days of meetings and class prep, before first day for students on the 14th.   

Summer vacation here means June and July.   The goal is to finish the school year right after Memorial Day.   Due to the varying number of snow days needed in this area, the best plan is to start in August, have a week off for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks for Christmas and New Years, a Spring Break in April, and then strive to be done no later than June 10th.   

The last time the county went with a later start date in August, we had a rough winter with MANY snow days and had to make up those extra days by extending the school year until June 22nd.   No one wants to repeat that scenario again, ever.