Honored Contributor

Re: It's amazing how music can change a mood...

@jlkz wrote:

When my mom was in a memory care unit in an assisted living facility, they would play music from the 40’s and 50’s to calm the clients.  

Given that phenomenon, I wonder what will happen when others reach that stage....don’t think rap music will be calming though.

@jlkz   Yes-playing music from a patient's age and time, specifically late teens to early 20's, has a positive effect on patients with dementia.

For some reason the specific age and time seems to have a more positive effect overall but especially for boomers.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

Re: It's amazing how music can change a mood...

@jlkz wrote:

When my mom was in a memory care unit in an assisted living facility, they would play music from the 40’s and 50’s to calm the clients.  

Given that phenomenon, I wonder what will happen when others reach that stage....don’t think rap music will be calming though.

@jlkz Lots of research surrounding this - People who are in advanced stages of Alz and dementia able to recall music from their younger days- Lyrics and music. 

Why that and not remember a face or place that would be equally as familliar.  What section of the brain...So interesting and hopefully a pathway to some type of cure!