Esteemed Contributor

Re: It's amazing how music can change a mood...

It can almost be a type of therapy. James Taylor is my go to but I love all music. Rap and opera are my least favorite but can have their rare moments also.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

...and transport one to a different time/period instantly.

I was playing some smooth jazz this morning and then went to youtube to do some browsing and came across Carole King's hit 'It's Too Late'.

Boy, I'm stitting here with chills...memories flood back and bring me right back to when I was 12 yrs old. The 1st time I heard it was on the radio in the family car on a road trip - summer vacation.

Such a great singer Smiley Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkKxmnrRVHo

Oh my I loved that song.  I was 10 years old when it was released and that summer shortly after it came out I got my first transistor radio.  I took it daily to day camp and almost every morning on the bus I heard that song.  All the girls singing along to it while the boys just grimaced.  Thanks for the smile on my face right now @Susan Louise 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sometimes I will go to youtube and just listen to a bunch of songs. Sometimes they make me cry though. Some of them  lift my mood!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

I've been listening to Barry Manilow, Stevie Wonder, Aaron Neville, and MIchael Bolton today. I enjoy listening to music everyday. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PamfromCT wrote:

I remember going to a Neil Diamond concert so many years ago, and it was so much fun.  I still love his music - “Sweet Caroline” - and so many more.  I have so many CDs that I should be playing.  So many artists I used to love.  Many CDs of classical music, perfect for softly playing while reading.  

I have read you should play music that reflects the mood you want to be in.  Not necessarily your present mood.  Anyone with thoughts on this?

@PamfromCT 

I like Music Choice Singers and Swing for reading....it puts me in a relaxed, happy mood...(and makes me think of my mom because that's the music she always had playing while she cooked and cleaned).... 

While doing chores or sometimes when I'm on my laptop I like to play British New Wave 80's or maybe some 60's pop hits or Motown.......It lifts my spirits and puts me in a good mood

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

When I listen to oldies, they define the eras of my life: what town I was living in, high school years, lovers, husbands, cities -- and within each, every song is narrowed down to a moment.

Linda Ronstadt Different Drum, I'm on a ladder painting a ceiling. 

Just about every song puts me in some perfect memory as if it is happening all over again.

Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone remember Gene Pitney?  “Only love can break a heart” and so much more?  He was a CT native, from Rockville, CT.  A small town not too far from where I lived growing up.  It was really local boy makes good, and I guess he was always down to earth.  Called “the Rockville Rocket.”

Sadly, he passed away a few years ago while touring in England, I think.  That really hits you, like losing a part of your youth.

Honored Contributor

I brief memory of him and a couple songs  "Town Without Pity" and Only Love Can Break A Heart by Gene Pitney....

When singers/members of groups pass away it really hits home ......part of something you enjoyed, their music, is viewed a bit differently ....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise 

I'm with you except that I view/hear music for the mood I am in, not to change it. I have a pretty good assortment of many genres of music. Some I listen to during my workouts. Those I adjust for the type and level of work load I plan for that session. No ballads when I want to work on my Cardio leg speed and/or strength routines.

Favorite relaxing music for me is Southern Gospel, and I have plenty of choices of artists and songs. Since I am a life long Audiophile, my listening when working out is on my powerful surround sound  9 speaker/2 subwoofer system.

For my audio/video watching and listening I have a 5.1 Dolby Surround hooked up to our 65 inch 4k TV set. Without music I think most people's lives would be lacking a big component of life.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

OK, I'll raise you one - I listened to Glen Campbell yesterday (BTW, I did watch Fat Head all the way and I thought it was great and I eliminated shredded wheat and it has been a very good move for me).  I'm less hungry and feel like my sluggish metabolism (long diagnosed hypothyroidism) has picked up.

Gentle on My Mind is an eternal favorite.  Wichita Lineman is right up there.

Hi @Susan Louise ! 

I listened to Wichita Lineman a couple of days ago. I love that song!👍