Honored Contributor

Re: It’s always on the weekend

[ Edited ]

1C02FC1D-9CE7-44CC-852C-281FFB7E31C3.jpeg

@gidgetgh 

That's quite narrow.  Not really enough to clean coils.  Maybe, it's not meant to come off.

Maybe, we can look for a solution for you on the internet.  What brand and model do you have?  There's always someone who's had the same problem.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh 

Just FYI, a microfiber cloth duct taped to a yardstick is a great cleaning tool for under stoves and refrigerators.  

Glad it cut itself off.   Since it was still making ice, I figure the fridge was going thru a self defrosting cycle.   I would not call for repair unless you notice something else.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

@gidgetgh 

Just FYI, a microfiber cloth duct taped to a yardstick is a great cleaning tool for under stoves and refrigerators.  

@RedTop -that's so funny.  I use a ruler with double sided tape taped to it to get down in the dryers vent.  I'm going to try the ruler, with a swiffer cloth for the refrigerator also. 

Thankfully, we have double wall ovens and a stove top, so no cleaning needed there!

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh 

Here are the main reasons why refrigerators keep running.

#1. Can’t Maintain Proper Freezer Temperature

Your refrigerator is designed to keep the freezer compartment at or below 10 degrees F. And sometimes a problem may prevent the refrigerator from maintaining that temperature. But it will nevertheless work tirelessly (run continuously!) to achieve the desired temperature.

Common problems that may prevent the unit from maintaining proper freezer temp include:

• Evaporator coil frosted over
  • Refrigerant leak
  • Dirty condenser coils
  • Bad door seals

#2. Faulty Heater Assembly

The defrost heater assembly is designed to cycle on periodically to melt any frost that may be accumulating on the evaporator coils. But if the heater unit fails, frost that continues to accumulate on coils may prevent proper cooling.

#3. Failed Defrost Thermostat

The defrost thermostat controls the cycle of melting frost that’s accumulating on the evaporator coils. If the thermostat fails, the heater assembly will not be activated when needed. The resulting buildup of frost will eventually inhibit proper cooling.

#4. Leaky Door

A very common cause of refrigerators running constantly is leaky door gaskets. Gaps in the door seal permit warm, humid air to enter the refrigerator. This creates a domino effect of problems, including evaporator coils that accumulate frost faster than the heater can remove.

#5. Failed Evaporator Fan Motor

It’s the job of the evaporator fan motor to move cold air generated in the evaporator coils into the interior of the refrigerator. If this fan fails, the unit may still be generating cold air, but the air can’t be moved into the refrigerator.

A telltale sign of this problem is a unit that has a cold freezer department with a warm refrigerator department.

#6. Failed Condenser Fan Motor

The condenser fan cools the condenser coils. If the fan stops running the condenser will eventually fail to perform properly. Occasionally the fix may be as simple as clearing debris that has accumulated around the fan blades.

#7. Dirty Condenser Coils

The condenser coils must be kept clean to work most efficiently. If dirt and dust accumulates on the coils, the refrigerator will have to work harder to maintain proper temperatures. Very dirty coils can cause the refrigerator to run constantly.

Honored Contributor

We rednecks love every opportunity to use our duct tape and WD40!

Honored Contributor

We/I have had numerous repair issues with this house in the past three years, including some pretty hefty hurricane (yes, in Georgia) damage shortly after my husband passed away last summer which took till mid January to get completely fixed.   I'm hyper sensitive to absolutely everything in this house, always anticipating the next big repair. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

We rednecks love every opportunity to use our duct tape and WD40!

@RedTop    Same with Arizona cowgirls!!!

♥Surface of the Sun♥