Honored Contributor

It’s always on the weekend

It's no surprise that I always say I don't like weekends. Because "nothing" ever gets done.

I don't sleep very well at all and in the night last night I could hear the refrigerator running downstairs.  Not loud, but loud enough that I was aware of it.

And it has run ever since. Won't shut off.  I've checked the temps and they're where they're supposed to be and all the doors are firmly shut but it just keeps running.

And there is nothing I can do about it until at least tomorrow. I swear, it's something every single day. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: It’s always on the weekend

@gidgetgh 

I would try turning the refrigerator off for 5-10 minutes, then turn it back on to see if that "resets" it.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Of course address the refrigerator situation, but here is another helpful hint if you are not  "sleeping well"....

Just a suggestion....listen to 432 hrz (free) on You Tube for sleep.  One that I listen to at times lasts for 10 hours  so no need to be concerned about turning it off.  Take a warm Epsom bath, a few deep breathes, turn on your music, and sleep effortlessly throughout the night.  Being refreshed with a good night's sleep helps to have energy the next day.   Best of health!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our refrigerator started running constantly. The repairman came and it was frosted up. You could see the ice through the little openings in the inside back. He used a hair dryer to thaw it. He pulled the refrigerator out from the wall and vacuumed the coils. It has worked perfectly ever since. He said we need to pull it out periodically and vacuum the back.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@gidgetgh 

I would try turning the refrigerator off for 5-10 minutes, then turn it back on to see if that "resets" it.   

@RedTop - don't laugh at me, but I assume the on/off switch is behind the refrigerator?  So I'd have to pull it out from the wall?  I don't know that I can do that on my own.  Could I just switch it off at the breaker for a few minutes?

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh 

I think she means try unplugging  for a few minutes, then plug I back in, and see if that resets it.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

@gidgetgh 

@RedTop - don't laugh at me, but I assume the on/off switch is behind the refrigerator?  So I'd have to pull it out from the wall?  I don't know that I can do that on my own.  Could I just switch it off at the breaker for a few minutes?

I just tried and couldn't move it out from the wall so I went to the basement, my least favorite place in this house, and turned the breaker off for a minute or so and then turned it back on.  No success with that so far.  

Honored Contributor

Try cleaning the dust off the coils.  Coils on my refrigerators are under the grill at the bottom.  

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh 

The only thing behind that refrigerator is the plug that is in the outlet.  

In my 3 refrigerators, turning the temperature dial as low as it will go will turn the appliance off.   

Your appliance manual might have this issue listed with ideas for you to try as a quick fix.   Is it still making ice, or has that function stopped?   If it has stopped, the issue is probably related to the ice maker.   

Respected Contributor

Yup, that's what weekends are for! 

I just spent $500 on a emergency plumbing call. The cylinder in my tub spout/handle gave out rather suddenly, and the only way to turn the water off was to turn off the entire house. Fortunately, when I called, I was quoted overtime, rather than doubletime for it being a Sunday, and they did honor quote. 

Added having an access panel cut in the closet that backs up to the shower and a shutoff valve to my list of home to-do's. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~