Honored Contributor

Re: It’s always on the weekend

@Foxxee wrote:

Try cleaning the dust off the coils.  Coils on my refrigerators are under the grill at the bottom.  

@Foxxee I just used my portable vacuum at the very bottom front of the refrigerator.  It's protected by a vented cover that I couldn't get off, but I did my best.  I can't get to anything in the back. I can't get the refrigerator to move at all.  And I'm afraid to "over try" because I'm in the middle of some major orthopedic issues and doing physical therapy for all that and if I hurt myself further, I'll lie down on the floor and start to cry.  I appreciate the suggestion.

Once my neighbor (female) gets home, I'll call her and maybe the two of us can get it to slide out. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@gidgetgh 

The only thing behind that refrigerator is the plug that is in the outlet.  

In my 3 refrigerators, turning the temperature dial as low as it will go will turn the appliance off.   

Your appliance manual might have this issue listed with ideas for you to try as a quick fix.   Is it still making ice, or has that function stopped?   If it has stopped, the issue is probably related to the ice maker.   

@RedTop - it's still making ice and the temp for both the refrigerator and freezer are reading as they should. I dumped the ice in the middle of the night, in case the refrigerator was going to totally die, but it's been making ice happily ever since. 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

Try cleaning the dust off the coils.  Coils on my refrigerators are under the grill at the bottom.  

@Foxxee I just used my portable vacuum at the very bottom front of the refrigerator.  It's protected by a vented cover that I couldn't get off, but I did my best.  I can't get to anything in the back. I can't get the refrigerator to move at all.  And I'm afraid to "over try" because I'm in the middle of some major orthopedic issues and doing physical therapy for all that and if I hurt myself further, I'll lie down on the floor and start to cry.  I appreciate the suggestion.

Once my neighbor (female) gets home, I'll call her and maybe the two of us can get it to slide out. 

@gidgetgh 

That cover should come off for cleaning the coils.  When coils are on the bottom, you shouldn't find any sticking out in the back.  Hoping your neighbor can get the cover off.  

Honored Contributor

Most newer refrigerators have their coils on the bottom, with vented backs that are not meant to be removed.   

I would not try to move the refrigerator until you check the appliance manual for suggestions on this problem.   How high is the GA humidity today?

Honored Contributor

I really appreciate everyone's help on this.

So this plastic piece that is vented and the corners protect the wheels, should pop right off?  I can get the plastic corners to move a little, but it won't come off.  I'm afraid I'll break it. 

I checked the manual.  It was of no help.  

1C02FC1D-9CE7-44CC-852C-281FFB7E31C3.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee, on our latest fridge, we cannot access the coils. I have no idea the reason for this change.

@gidgetgh, at least your refrigerator is still working. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Most newer refrigerators have their coils on the bottom, with vented backs that are not meant to be removed.   

I would not try to move the refrigerator until you check the appliance manual for suggestions on this problem.   How high is the GA humidity today?

Temp is 79 and humidity is 79%. Air conditioner is on all the time here. But at least it turns on and off!

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Foxxee, on our latest fridge, we cannot access the coils. I have no idea the reason for this change.

@gidgetgh, at least your refrigerator is still working. :-)

@suzyQ3 - that's my fear.  Please don't let it completely die, like in the middle of the night, and somehow get water everywhere, on the hardwoods.  

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh 

Yes, that front vented bottom piece should pull off; pull both sides straight towards you.  Use a dry swiffer to get any dust off the coils underneath the fridge.   Once cleaned, the guard should pop back on easily once you line it up straight and push forward.  The 2 pinched grooves on the back of the guard should grab and hold with a firm push.   

Honored Contributor

Oh. My. Gosh.  

It turned itself off after running for more than 12 hours straight.

I couldn't get the front grill cover off, but I laid on my stomach on the floor in front of it and took a new straw, still in its wrapper and shoved back as far as I could under there and went back and forth and pulled out minimal lint, but I got some.  I don't have a brush and the opening is too narrow for one.  Straw is the longest thing I have in the house. 

'Then I looked on you tube on how to get the cover off and it said it should come off but not to clean the coils unless the refrigerator is unplugged. I can't get to the plug.  

So, maybe the minimal amount I got cleaned out helped short term.  Or may the entire refrigerator has died.  I'm not going to open it for awhile cause I want it to stay off for a little bit.

Keep in mind that I'm having pretty major hip issues,  sciatic nerve issues and lower back trouble and an inflamed Achilles.  I am an orthopedic mess.   And I have vertigo. Getting down on the floor on my stomach and then getting back up again was not exactly poetry in motion.