Occasional Visitor

It's all relative- the old you is still you

How many people have ever looked back at an old photo and thought "how did I get here?" or "I looked good" or maybe even "what happened?" Well the truth is, life happens. In my case, I've looked back at old running photos or times and reminised on the "old me" or the "stronger, faster, lighter me." I think about what has happened in the past few years to get me where I am today and what made me lose that drive, or fitness I once had. Truthfully, a has happened in the past seven or eight years..graduating college, getting a full time job, working twelve hour shifts as a nurse, beginning a graduate degree program, a couple moves, etc. Does that make my lack on being "in shape" excusable? Maybe. Or is where I am now a collective journey of the other trials and victories I have endured over the years? Regardless, it doesn't excuse the fact that I still want to be as fast or faster than I once was. After several pep talks, I always feel the need to explain to people "it's all relative" or "yes, I'm excited, but it's not my best." Thus, I've heard talk about having "old guy and young guy PRs." This might be a way to celebrate new victories and not dwell on the possibility of not being what I once was. I look at my mom who runs and has set numerous new goals for each decade. She might not being able to run her fastest 5k at 54 but she can run her fastest 5k while being 54. On the other hand,I've been told PRs have an expiration date. For many aspects of life, we may have to adjust our goals..that doesn't mean they have to be any less important. Now if you have the potential to be faster or your definition of "greater" at a later age, then by all means go for it and celebrate your victory. Even so, let every goal, small or big, new or old be a celebration of your life, your commitment and the journey you have endured. No matter where life takes you, the old you is still very much alive, the fastest time you've ever run will still be apart of you and reaching your goals always deserve to be celebrated.

Trusted Contributor

Re: It's all relative- the old you is still you

781d0e9d921c087e43be915df014ecb5.jpg

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Esteemed Contributor

I am not sure if I got the full gist of the OP's point, but yes, age is just a number.  There are old acting 30 year olds and young acting people in their 70's.  I try not to look back......what is the point, except to remember and smile.  Make the most of everyday.  Enjoy your gifts and accept your shortcomings.

The best time of your life should be........right now!  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Full of Joy Running  

I am an 80 year old male.

I have no clue who you are other than what you say in your very 1st post here. I was a runner back in the 1960's. When running on a sidewalk next to a street, "hey, ya need a ride", was common.i was in my 20's back in that decade.

Probably have run over 300,000 miles over the years, and quadrupled that number on ice skates. I worked with guys in their early 40's, as was I, along the way. We would talk about running and overall physical fitness.

What I heard umpteen times over, "I used to XYZ". My response "used to's don't mean a thing now, you are in the now". I cut short my autobiography here. Along the way  I set many PR's and won many running and speed skating events in the over 50 group.

Don't run anymore, but am as physically fit(via MaxVo2 tests I have taken)as to be in the upper 3% of men over 80/upper 10% of men over 50. I also have lost maybe 1.5 seconds on a 1 speed lap on a 200' ice surface. Will be 81 in less than a month.

I can remember well who I was then and who I am now. Not looking to "regain" my youthful past, just trying to "maintain" my present me.

Thank you for you post, I can relate to most everything you said, not from watching or hearing, but by "doing".

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Full of Joy Running  

welcome aboard these boards !

Helpful hint:  To get a lot of us to read lengthy posts, use the return key every so often to create white space.  This will encourage more folks to jump in and read.  

Who knows, they may have an answer for your question or an insight to share !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

I guess your in your 30s (I’m 58), at your age I was a stay at home mom, jogging, aerobics weight training (my escape from kids in the gyms nursery)

I am now 58 an avid walker. An Empty nester who started working p/t 10 yrs ago. Since we have friends retiring we are reflecting on what’s next.

We all go through seasons (decades) and might look back w pleasure and/ or disappointment.

Live your best now during the circumstances you are currently in. You have accomplished a lot and I’m sure you will continue to.

Good to reflect
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Full of Joy Running  wrote:

How many people have ever looked back at an old photo and thought "how did I get here?" or "I looked good" or maybe even "what happened?" Well the truth is, life happens. In my case, I've looked back at old running photos or times and reminised on the "old me" or the "stronger, faster, lighter me."

I think about what has happened in the past few years to get me where I am today and what made me lose that drive, or fitness I once had. Truthfully, a has happened in the past seven or eight years..graduating college, getting a full time job, working twelve hour shifts as a nurse, beginning a graduate degree program, a couple moves, etc.

Does that make my lack on being "in shape" excusable? Maybe. Or is where I am now a collective journey of the other trials and victories I have endured over the years? Regardless, it doesn't excuse the fact that I still want to be as fast or faster than I once was. After several pep talks, I always feel the need to explain to people "it's all relative" or "yes,

I'm excited, but it's not my best." Thus, I've heard talk about having "old guy and young guy PRs." This might be a way to celebrate new victories and not dwell on the possibility of not being what I once was. I look at my mom who runs and has set numerous new goals for each decade. She might not being able to run her fastest 5k at 54 but she can run her fastest 5k while being 54.

On the other hand,I've been told PRs have an expiration date. For many aspects of life, we may have to adjust our goals..that doesn't mean they have to be any less important. Now if you have the potential to be faster or your definition of "greater" at a later age, then by all means go for it and celebrate your victory.

Even so, let every goal, small or big, new or old be a celebration of your life, your commitment and the journey you have endured. No matter where life takes you, the old you is still very much alive, the fastest time you've ever run will still be apart of you and reaching your goals always deserve to be celebrated.

@Full of Joy Running  

I wanted to make this easier for others to read. I hope you don't mind, as I think many may want to assess their own lives after reading this.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut 

From your post -- thought I was the ONLY one who ever heard this Cat LOL

"What I heard umpteen times over, "I used to XYZ". My response "used to's don't mean a thing now, you are in the now"."

I worked in a Federal agency for my entire career and ran every day on my lunch hour.  I was young and no matter the weather would do 6 - 8 miles a day.  Only thing that kept me in was lightening.

Inevitably, on the way down in the elevator, someone would question my mileage/speed/abilities and, without waiting for a response would say, "I USED TO.....blah, blah, blah.  The implication being whatever they did was more/better/faster than I was doing.

Usually, I gave them an eye roll and went about my business.

Gave up running when my knees/feet started hurting, and would fast walk instead.  In retirement, I use a spin bike and walk or bike outside when I can.

I loved running...loved it!  Still miss it, but I try never to say, "I used to...."

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I ran every morning before work and ran short races on some weekends. I loved the early morning runs. I was lucky to be able to run on ground with a couple of slight hills and through woods where DH mowed a path. 

In my mind I'll remember "I used to..." and I might share "I used to run before work."  But I've never compared my past to another's present or past.  It was never a competition with anyone but myself.   eta...sometimes DH. ❤️🙂

I ran for the pleasure of it. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Looking back at the old photos....I just wonder....what were we thinking with some of those hairstyles and fashions...Woman LOL  Other than that....I try to remain young at heart and continue on....

cat and chicks cartoon looking at photo album - Buy this stock ...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”