Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: It’s absolutely pouring out and...

@furbabylover wrote:

Having gone through the same thing from a past hurricane, I can tell you the most important thing to ****** in the bud is MOLD!! We were away when mold hit our house on the second floor- Nightmare!! In a nutshell, had to move out, endure mold remediation for 4 months, had to have entire second floor ripped out and rebuilt, then found we had mold in our bodies even after remediation. If you see ANY sign of it, get it treated immediately. Make sure to have the attic checked after the roofers are done, and keep an eye on that basement. Good Luck!!

@furbabylover - as soon as the roof is done, the restoration company will come and take out the insulation in that part of the attic (if the roofers don't do it) and then put fans and dehumidifiers in the basement, the attic (have no idea how they're going to accomplish that one) and in the dining room.  The fans and dehumidifiers have to run for 96 hours and then Whoever they use can start to repair.  If I'd had them come before the roof was done, it would have just gotten wet again since it's raining yet again and then I would have had to pay them to come a second time.  I am a nervous wreck about this.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

I  am so sorry that you are going through this roof problem ... I feel your pain .... I just had to have a new roof put on my oceanfront home on the Jersey shore ... it was costly but, had to be done ... good luck 😃

Honored Contributor

These types of repairs are never good news or easy on the checking account, but since you are planning to sell the house, it's best you deal with the problem now, instead of once you have a buyer.   

A new roof will certainly be a positive for interested buyers next year!   

Calm down and focus on the fact it's fixable and maybe it's one of the last things you do to the house before you sell it.

Best wishes to you thru this process!

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh 

The water you are seeing in the basement, is it by any chance close to the base of your chimney down there?  And in your attic, is it close to the chimney up there? Just asking because of some on-going problems I had all last fall & spring when it rained. Won't bore you with the details but curious if that is where you are seeing it. If so, be sure to have the flashing around your chimney checked.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

@gidgetgh 

The water you are seeing in the basement, is it by any chance close to the base of your chimney down there?  And in your attic, is it close to the chimney up there? Just asking because of some on-going problems I had all last fall & spring when it rained. Won't bore you with the details but curious if that is where you are seeing it. If so, be sure to have the flashing around your chimney checked.

@shaggygirl - nowhere near the chimney. Other side of the house. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

How horrible.  Leaks are so damaging and sudden.  Hope the rain lets up and maybe they can fix it.

I teased SIL that finally, with a new roof, he something to point to.  Unlike new heat pumps.  💲💲💲💲

Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

How are your gutters, downspouts and landscaping around the foundation? Water can be getting into the basement from one or all of the above.

Hoping the rain stops soon and repairs can be made quickly and thoroughly.

@queendivaGood suggestions.  Sometimes the roof isn't the first source.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

You will make it through- somehow we always do!! And it may be a good thing to have any moisture issues addressed that may have gone undetected for some time. Make sure to get your restoration company to put IN WRITING exactly what they found in terms of mold, if any, and exactly what they did to remediate it. You just might find after all the work done on your home that the air quality inside is improved, and the good news is you will not have to worry anymore about your roof or your basement. Best Wishes!!