Honored Contributor

It’s absolutely pouring out and...

[ Edited ]

I have a roof leak. Or maybe multiple leaks. Who knows, maybe Tons of leaks.

I found water in our basement after last week's rains from Hurricane Sally.  Had the restoration company out immediately, followed by the plumber an hour later and then a roofer the next day. 

But oh no, not "just" water in the basement.  Water also in a section of our attic, accessible from an attic door in our master bedroom closet.  And....and.... also behind a small section of baseboard in the dining room.  

The new roof is being put on next Tuesday.  The roofer put something up on the roof a few days ago in the area he thinks (but isn't sure) is causing the problems.  It is in a weird place though and he's not sure in the vinyl stuff he put on will help short term. 

And now it's raining, with more rain to come today,  and I'm really nervous. I put two 10 gallon buckets and a larger sterilite container in the basement last night hoping they will catch some of the water if I have problems today.  Nothing at all I can do to help the attic.  

No insurance claim on this one.  We filed a claim just over 2 years ago for something else and after 3 claims in 3 years they won't renew you and I was afraid to risk a second claim in just over 2 years.  

I did some investigating and they wouldn't have covered it anyway as the roof issue is not from hail damage or anything. Just normal roof aging.

i won't even look at the radar.  Ignorance is bliss.

And then I'll have to tackle the rest of the damage.  

What a year.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Re: It’s absolutely pouring out and...

Yikes....what a mess.  I am really sorry.  Hope you can get a reasonable price for repairs, or can swing the cost of a new roof (I know that is a huge expense 🙁).

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

Yikes....what a mess.  I am really sorry.  Hope you can get a reasonable price for repairs, or can swing the cost of a new roof (I know that is a huge expense 🙁).

I can handle the cost of the roof, but we have a big house. It was an eye opening amount.  And who knows what the rest of the repairs will cost.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh 

I am so sorry you are having these issues.  I hope the rain will stop and your roof can be put on promptly.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh : I am so sorry that you are having to deal with more problems.❤️❤️❤️

Esteemed Contributor

How are your gutters, downspouts and landscaping around the foundation? Water can be getting into the basement from one or all of the above.

Hoping the rain stops soon and repairs can be made quickly and thoroughly.

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry you're dealing with all of this.  It's been one thing after another for you @gidgetgh  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh I am so sorry!  We have nothing here yet although the sky is getting darker by the minute.  I wish Mother Nature would push these storms out west where they are needed.  We've had enough and I know I speak for LA and TX too.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@queendiva wrote:

How are your gutters, downspouts and landscaping around the foundation? Water can be getting into the basement from one or all of the above.

Hoping the rain stops soon and repairs can be made quickly and thoroughly.

@queendiva -there is water in the attic also, so it's coming from above.  The roofer said the gutters look good. I have them cleaned out every December but he said they looked fine because the leaves haven't started coming down yet. 

Valued Contributor

Having gone through the same thing from a past hurricane, I can tell you the most important thing to ****** in the bud is MOLD!! We were away when mold hit our house on the second floor- Nightmare!! In a nutshell, had to move out, endure mold remediation for 4 months, had to have entire second floor ripped out and rebuilt, then found we had mold in our bodies even after remediation. If you see ANY sign of it, get it treated immediately. Make sure to have the attic checked after the roofers are done, and keep an eye on that basement. Good Luck!!