Honored Contributor

It's Time for FARMERS' MARKETS

In the midwest where I live there is not much going on in the market except possibly asparagus.  All the goodies start to come in July/August.  I love going to the market or even a farmer to pick up fresh veggies.  I definitely want some fresh red beets, onions, (I am growing tomatoes so I am set there)  cucumbers, green beans and especially sweet corn.  Let's have an awesome summer with fresh veggies and fruits.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Re: It's Time for FARMERS' MARKETS

I couldn't agree with you more!...I'm looking so forward to when the Farmers' Markets will be opening up around here and we can enjoy all of the wonderful fresh vegetables and fruits....I'm salivating just thinking about it!...My favorite eating is Summer eating!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Respected Contributor

We are very fortunate. We have farmer's markets all year long. We go at least once a week.

Respected Contributor

I love Farmer's Markets.   Last year I got the most beautiful heirloom tomatoes.   

Respected Contributor

Our local farmer's market runs April-October, every Saturday 9am-2pm.

Then from November-March, they have it once a month. 

I like going. There are crafts and good music and food as well.

We don't usually get a lot until end of June as far as produce.

Looking forward to cherries, apricots, and peaches!  Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

I live in California where we have year round Farmers' markets. I have been enjoying the cherries, this week I bought Rainiers for $4 a pound. I also bought peaches and nectarines as well as strawberries. I picked out a beautiful freshly picked cabbage for $1. My home organic garden has baby tomatoes on all the plants and I just saw a baby zucchini. I love eating fresh food. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, it is a bit too early for locally grown food at the farmer's markets in the midwest. 

I don't frequent them too much, as we grow just about all they sell.

I will get a few things early in the season, but honestly, most of the markets around us are selling things from out of the area this early in the season, and it really isn't much different than what I can find at my local Meijer's, which has a pretty good produce department, for usually less price.

Esteemed Contributor

Love our farmers market too. It runs all year long. 

If you are really into fresh veggies and want the best, see if your area has Community Supported Agriculture. We have been members of ours for years. We eat a ton of fruit and veg in our family and I have never had such delicious fruit and veggies. You get weekly "shares" from each farmer. You know the people growing your food and how and where it is produced. In turn the farmers don't have to worry about marketing their yield and they know exactly what the price will be as it is agreed upon before hand. They  can also use the money they get upfront to buy seeds and whatever else they need.  

Check it out if farmers markets are something that interests you then you would really love CSA! 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chessylady wrote:

I live in California where we have year round Farmers' markets. I have been enjoying the cherries, this week I bought Rainiers for $4 a pound. I also bought peaches and nectarines as well as strawberries. I picked out a beautiful freshly picked cabbage for $1. My home organic garden has baby tomatoes on all the plants and I just saw a baby zucchini. I love eating fresh food. 

That is a good price for rainers @chessylady, at least it is around here! Love those. Cherries are my favorite but the Rainer cherries are just the best. I have bought 2 bags already but we don't usually see the Rainer variety until at least the middle of June.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

our farmers markets opened about a month or so ago.

not a huge selection of items yet, but it is a start.

we have them in several different areas close by on different days of the week.

i cannot say they are cheap, because they arent, but the quality is always great and it is nice to be able to help out our local farmers.

we have everything from herbs, to vegetables, to fruits, to breads and jams, to ice cream. i am waiting for some GOOD tomatoes!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein