Occasional Contributor

Re: It's Only a Burger For Pete's Sake.

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

Believe it or not, the Taco Bell in our little town is the one with the long, crazy lines. I always go to In-and-Out when I go to Tucson, but the drive thrugh lines are manageable.  Every year there ar rumors that we will get a Chick Fil A, but I don't think it will ever happen. We are too small, but whoever would open one would sure make a lot of money!

Chick Fil A chicken nuggets with house sauce is very good.Works out great for kids' parties where the kids can use toothpicks to stick the large nuggets and dip them in the sauce.The kids love them and they don't get such a "sugar high"since there's birthday cake as well.We order ahead the trays and pick them up.I wouldn't wait in line,but that's just me hating lines.They're not open on Sundays so any event on Sunday order to pick up on Saturday night.They're very co-operative.Nothing else I like there that's terribly great.

Honored Contributor

I didn't realize, when I first read this, that it was a line of cars waiting for 12 hours.  (My fault, I just thought it would be a line of customers standing or sitting there.)  OMG, the waste of gas, the toxic fumes being pumped into the atmosphere.

What burger or any other sandwich is worth that?  If that's anyone's idea of fun, perhaps they should wait in a line for a food basket.  Then donate it to a truly needy family!  SMH.  

Occasional Contributor

@elated wrote:

I just watched the news and they stated it was a 14 hour wait. The first customer arrived at 10pm the night before opening. I don't remember their burgers being that outstanding.

You know, I think we're just missing the obvious point here. We go where our kids, and in my case, my grandkids, want to go and where is that? McDonalds.It's always open,the food is always the same with no guess work, the fries always edible.McDonalds does not go out of business and their drive-throughs have two lanes where I live so it's quick. Like the lady said, it's just a burger.Get it and go.Everybody's happy and McDonald's is always busy even though there are two in close proximity in my town, actually three if you count Walmart's McDonald's in the Super Center. We do not have an IN-n-Out or Carl's Jr's, but we have all others and some that are local only to us.I live in a college town where there are eating places everywhere,but the kids want McDonald's, so we do McDonald's.

Respected Contributor

In and Out is also known for its secret(not so much) menu. You can go online and look for special request items. I haven’t been in a long time, but I request my fries well done and my burger animal style 😁. 

Honored Contributor

• Reminds me of when Krispy Kreme opened up here.  This is Dunkin country and Krispy Kreme opened first in one of the upscale malls and then a really big one outside the city.  It was like the donuts were filled with gold.  People lined up in a line that went from one end of the mall clear to the other end.  The line to get in the parking lot of the suburban one was like something you only see at Christmas time at Walmart.  Everyone was talking about them.  And then....after 8 or 9 months  or so....suddenly they were gone.  My friend and I ducked in after work  to grab a few before we got on the commuter train to go home  and the store was closed up.  And then the one outside the city closed down too.  Apparently, the novelty wore off and people realized they were just donuts.  Smaller than Dunkins and more expensive, that and the long lines drove customers away.  There were not enough customers to keep the stores open even though they wre much better than Dunkin Donuts.  Within a year, Krispy Kreme was history.  
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

IDK  what it is.  It is a cult   That is all I can say  My grandson has worked there since he was 16.  They pay good.I will say that  .....a kid off the street, first day makes 18@hr. They treat their employees like Gods, no kidding, parties, picnics, goals.  The place is spotless, and strict .  But the kids all say, it is fun to work there.  Ido not eat meat, but I am told it is the meat that makes the burger.  They are pretty fussy.  The lettuce has to be super crisp or it is tossed, the tomatoes just so  they grind their own meat  and make their own patties there.  They cut their own potatoes.  I do not like their fries , not crisp and tender for me. They fresh cut tem and fry.  I think they should be fried twice. Here in California there is always a line wrapped around the corner for In n Out. They space their stores out so they are more precious to find.  People get excited.   Omg, back in the day after school when I picked grands up, if I said we were getting In N Out   iI had them at my mercy.  We would wait in the sun, or the rain for 30-45 mins  butwould have fun while we waited....at least they did.  

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

The last line I stood in to eat was in the Mess Hall when I was in the United States Army. And no way I would sit in my car or wait in a "holding area" to eat at any eatery.

I won't stand in line/sit and wait for a table. When I go out to eat it is to be seated right away and decide what to eat and drink. There are way too many good restaurants in our City for me to wait for any of them.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

They're well known in the far West.  They are reputed to have the best burger around.

Would I wait 12 hours?  Of course not.

Trusted Contributor

I have been to In and Out Burger exactly once.  Yeah never again.  Not sure what the fascination is but my husband and I thought it was the biggest waste of time and money.

As for waiting that long, I think twice if the drive through line for Coffee is more than 4 cars long.  NOPE/

Honored Contributor

I actually prefer a good burger to a good steak, but if I have to be #6 or higher in line, I can have my burger another day.