Respected Contributor

Re: It’s Official I Am Old!

@jonbon   Exactly. it provides for free gym membership. You can go to any workout class that you want.  I can't imagine why anyone would be offended about this. Just one more benefit to living longer. 

Honored Contributor

@dulwich   I started feeling "officially old" when law enforcement officers (local police, state troopers, etc) starting looking like they could be my grandchildren!  

For me, there were two good things about turning 65 (a few years ago):  One was Medicare, and the other was I was finally a senior for all discounts!  I needen't need, any more, to ask if you had to be 55 or 60 or 62 or 65 to get a senior discount (e.g. movie theaters vary).  When I turned 65, I knew I'd met the senior age requirement for sure.

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

I went to Jersey Mike's to get a sandwich and got call ma'am at least ten times during the course of me ordering the doggone sandwich and getting my change.  lol

I have never minded being called ma'am, as some people are. In many parts of the country, it's meant to be a respectful way of addressing a woman.  Have never heard a man complain about being called "sir".  

@qbetzforreal wrote:

I went to Jersey Mike's to get a sandwich and got call ma'am at least ten times during the course of me ordering the doggone sandwich and getting my change.  lol

Esteemed Contributor

I go the Silver Sneakers and you don't have to be 65 to attend. There are people in their 30's in the class. It just means Medicare pays for your gym membership. Silver Sneakers does cardio, weight, balance, yoga etc. just a gentler version, no jumping and getting on the floor except for maybe the yoga.

Honored Contributor

My generation did not trust or relate to anyone over 30. I realize now that many of the men and women I knew over 30 back then were indeed young people and thought the same way I did. Let's face it no matter how good of shape you are in you are still considered senior  at 62 or 65, just like a well kept antique is still an antique.LOL I feel lucky I made it to old age and really don't care how young people view me. I remember my inlaws who were in their late 70's at the time calling other seniors, old people. I don't think they realized how silly and foolish they sounded to we young people at the time.

Respected Contributor

Yes, turning 65 and getting the official notice that you are eligible for Medicare is a slap in the face of reality.

Having moved forward a few years past that shocking reality, I still refuse to accept the fact that I am "old/elderly/senior". I exercise daily and eat healthy. I don't look "old", don't act "old", and don't feel "old".

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

Yes, turning 65 and getting the official notice that you are eligible for Medicare is a slap in the face of reality.

Having moved forward a few years past that shocking reality, I still refuse to accept the fact that I am "old/elderly/senior". I exercise daily and eat healthy. I don't look "old", don't act "old", and don't feel "old".

@catwhisperer   I know what you mean. I keep referring to myself as middle-aged. Not on purpose,  I don't think "senior" has quite computed yet.

Respected Contributor

I was not offended at all thought it was funny.  However, I did join the gym as it is only $45 a month and there is a great variety of classes and I do enjoy aerobics.

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty 

I didn't know  Medicare pays the membership -- I've haven't been "lucky" to have this benefit through my medical insurance through my retiree benefits.  I inquired with my insurer and it's not a benefit offered☹️nor when I get Medicare soon.

we have a beautiful gym in our community for a very nominal yearly fee.  Of course, no personal trainers or classes offered as a traditional gym.  The Y offers a nice selection of membership plans which I've been considering, esp. for the summer hot humid months.

Right now, I walk & swim daily when weather permits but I'd like to take advantage of some of the classes they offer.  

I'm gonna inquire again to see if Silver Sneakers is a option.  Thank you!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well no, you ARE NOT old! You are a mature, active woman.  And obviously in great shape. I do all the high impact classes as well. I am 64. Spin, Buti yoga, pump and tone and I run. It keeps me healthy and in shape, as obviously you are as well.  Keep it up and proudly flash an ID...bet no one would believe your age😉