Trusted Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

Years ago, one of the training classes I had was speaking before a large audience.  I was terrified, and with good reason.

We were required to WATCH a video of our presentation while the teacher/class reviewed our technique.

I've often wondered if the hosts are required to watch tapes of their presentations. 

It sure gives one a good idea of what NOT to do and sayCat LOL

I don't know if they are required to watch themselves, but as huge as their egos are they probably DO watch.   Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

QVC is a shopping channel.

If they have to think about and not use ANY word during a presentation, that could possibly be construed (by SOME) as trivializing our world's serious problems, then they may as well stand there and say nothing at all.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@algin wrote:

I get really offended when a host describes a piece of clothing by saying "It's EVERYTHING".  Other than as something to cover the body, a piece of clothing has no real value to someone who's starving...or a refugee trying to get their family out of a war zone to safety...or someone with a serious illness...and on and on.  To say a blouse or a skirt or slacks is everything just seems so shallow and completely self-absorbed and lacking in awareness of what is actually improtant in life... especially considering the world we now inhabit.  I'm not trying to be PC, I'm truly upset by this.

I guess I'm confused as to why if you are so concerned about the starving and the refugees and other significant issues in the world (which is totally commendable) that you are spending your time watching hosts make shallow comments and getting offended.

Esteemed Contributor

QVC hosts often have to spend inordinate amounts of time with each item being presented. How much descriptive variety can one human being devote to a tee shirt or a vegetable peeler? In their position, I'd be watching the clock non-stop, wishing time would pass quickly. Some of the hosts' presentations become absurd. I don't care how clever, articulate, or experienced a host is. There's just so much a person can say after awhile that makes any sense.

Respected Contributor

Maybe not take sales people so seriously when they're doing a pitch. It's not everything people know that it's just a way to say it's great which is their job. She wasn't suggesting if you buy the piece of clothing your life would be perfect. If people believe that they shouldn't be left alone to use a credit card. 

Esteemed Contributor

This is a 'put on', right?

A special stir of the pot for the holiday?

Or are you giggling over the number who have come out with soothing words and offering perspective to talk you down from your "really offended" ledge?

Trusted Contributor

This person (who has about 13 posts - most of which are complaints) is just trying to stir up trouble to get attention.  No one is listening, so this is what they've been reduced to doing on such a beautiful day.  This is a very sad situation. Count your blessings, folks.

Respected Contributor

You need to take a deep breath and calm down.  This is a shopping channel and they are trying to sell products.  Don't take their sales pitch so literally. 

Esteemed Contributor

Every time I hear a host say that an item is "everything", I just chalk it up to one of those strange phrases hosts use to sell!!  Just like when some one states that a clothing item is "fresh"!!  I wonder if it parallels to a piece of fruit/veggie or a breezy airstream outside!!

Respected Contributor

Re: It's Not "Everything"

[ Edited ]

I am not going to beat the OP up.  Its not my style.  She rarely posts, in fact, hasn't posted in well over a year.  Something just struck a nerve with her and she felt she had something to say.  But @algin please be aware you are not posting in an arena where posters have a philosophy similar to yours.