Respected Contributor

It's National Merry Go round day !

from nationaltoday.com

We adore fairs, carnivals, and amusement rides, so how could we not love National Merry Go Round Day? Celebrated each year on July 25, this day spotlights the fun ride known as a merry-go-round or carousel. A highlight of amusement parks, these circular rides are still widely popular across America and the globe.

I remember riding the merry go round at the carnivals that use to come to town when I was a little girl into my teen yrs. So much fun and wonderful memories. Those were the good old days!  Remember those days ?

Honored Contributor

Re: It's National Merry Go round day !

The Merry Go Round is the only carnival ride I ever liked but I must have the kind where the horses go up and down.  Stationary horses don't count.  The old, ornate ones are the best.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

The Merry Go Round is the only carnival ride I ever liked but I must have the kind where the horses go up and down.  Stationary horses don't count.  The old, ornate ones are the best.

I have always felt the same way.  I especially didn't like being put in one of the carriages.  I knew those would not go up and down @Kachina624 .

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Merry Go Round Day... With these forums as they are, how appropriate...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

from nationaltoday.com

We adore fairs, carnivals, and amusement rides, so how could we not love National Merry Go Round Day? Celebrated each year on July 25, this day spotlights the fun ride known as a merry-go-round or carousel. A highlight of amusement parks, these circular rides are still widely popular across America and the globe.

I remember riding the merry go round at the carnivals that use to come to town when I was a little girl into my teen yrs. So much fun and wonderful memories. Those were the good old days!  Remember those days ?

@Goodie2shoes I do.  It brings back fond memories.  I also loved the beautiful ornate and intricate details of the horses.  Beautiful and colorful.  Thanks for letting us know about this.  Gonna go and look at beautiful pics of horsies on merry go rounds.......

Respected Contributor

As a child I used to go to the "Fun House" in Asbury Park, NJ. The horses did go up and down and have many happy memories riding as a child.

But there was something even better. Off to the side, those who were tall enough could reach out and grab a brass ring. The "golden" one meant a free ride.

I remember waiting for years until my arms grew long enough to grasp the treasure. It was a thrill finally gettting a golden ring.

This attraction has been gone for decades but I hope there are similar spots for children to go to today, 

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset   I always wanted a Merry Go Round horse for my house but I never had a room with enough extra space for a horse.  Some of them were so beautifully painted.

Esteemed Contributor

See the source image

See the source image

Here's the one in Central Park, NY

See the source image

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@gertrudecloset   I always wanted a Merry Go Round horse for my house but I never had a room with enough extra space for a horse.  Some of them were so beautifully painted.

@Kachina624 I agree about them being beautiful in color.  Whenever I was taken to a fair or theme park with a horsey carosel, I loved the colors.  Imagine the work that went into making some of the original ones.  Me, wondering if they often needed repainting jobs.  Very nice.....

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset    Yes, I've heard of craftsmen who specialize just in repairing and painting those horses.