Honored Contributor

Re: It's Interesting How the Brain Can Trick Itself

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I dream  nightmares about tornados especially after seeing them on the news.....they frighten me so. I am on the West coast so not any tornadoes to speak of....but they still freak  me out.

omg I can't believe you said that!!Smiley Surprised I have nightmares about tornadoes, too. I'm terrified of them. Never even been close to one either. @SeaMaiden 

Frequent Contributor

My father was a Forensic Psychiatrist, his last interview and testimony was T. BUNDY . We use to talk or ask him about our dreams.....he said dreams " were just the junk of the day". What he meant was what we fear, think, in some cases obsess about, hear about or see.
Case in point- for me as this storm is passing us off shore, this past two weeks I have been worried about this giant oak in front of our house. My dream has been one of forest of trees moving like a roller coaster.
Honored Contributor

@Kimnola -

That must have been fascinating and creepy to hear your father's stories

(if he was ok in telling you).

That makes sense about the dreams.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I'm AMAZED at how real dreams can seem.  I once had a dream that my mother had died (she was still alive) and how my heart ached.  My brothers grew kind of impatient with me, telling me to get over it.  I was so sad for a few days, trying to get over that dream.

Then once I dreamed about our son, David, who died when he was 38.  I dreamed that he was alive and I was with him.  It made me so happy.  I felt just like I had really seen him again and it was wonderful.  Thankfully, I WILL see him again and I so look forward to it. Woman Very Happy

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Frequent Contributor

@ on the bay
As far as specific conversations about his patients, he never discussed. HOWEVER, I remember my youngest brother asking if he was scared of TB sitting across from him? Dad replied " I looked into the eyes of Satan"
As kids we asked him about dreams, why do we have fears, the difference between a sociopath and psychopaths? But mostly, helping with homework.
Back to topic, I use to dream as a small girl that there were snakes at the end of my bed and wake up crying. Turns out it was related to being bullied at school, this was in the 60's.
Great topic to the OP.