Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 

I'm not answering your question, but wanted to mention that I'm in Southern Maryland and we had 9 inches of rain all at once about a week ago.

It rained almost every day in July and has continued into August.  It's also been very hot...it would not surprise me if we had 15 inches during last month.

Honored Contributor

After two misty/rainy days, we have bright sunshine and gorgeous blue skies.

Went out on the boat at about noon and I dozed off and woke up chilled (under the bimini) and covered my arms with a floppy hat.

Never been to Death Valley, but I've been to Palm Springs in the summer before.  Same?

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm   I don't think Palm Springs is  quite as hot as Death Valley but is similar and plenty hot.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

During times of great heat we do our shopping and errands between the hours of 6AM and 9AM.  Only one time we got home at 10AM.  

Respected Contributor

It's 116 DEGREES here today! OMG

Esteemed Contributor

I lived in Ridgecrest CA (Mojave Desert) for 23 years; we were two valleys over from Death Valley.  Yesterday R.C. was 115 and any way you cut it, that's HOT!!! I don't notice much of a difference between there, Palm Springs or Phoenix during Summer months. Many people have pools and everybody has swamp coolers (if you have humidity they don't work well, so everybody also has ceiling fans).  Either you get used to it or you get out of these places.  I adapted by changing when I ran errands or washed my car to either  morning or around dusk.  Most inhabitants really like outdoor activities (camping, golf, biking etc). Didn't want to become a dried prune so when I retired I moved to the mountains! I believe that it really was 130 in Death Valley ( it's a dry heat-- like opening an oven! ).

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz 

I could not survive such heat...dry or not.

We get hot in Maryland, but never that hot.  And, the humidity is brutal.

However, on a long ago trip to Vegas, my skin and nasal passages dried so badly it took a month to stop having nosebleeds and return my skin to normal.

So, while I hate the humidity, I try to remember that it helps my skin Cat LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman :  I spent first 22 years of my life in Silver Spring MD; you can adapt to almost anything if you put your mind to it!  It seems as if MDs weather has gotten more extreme over the years: all that rain now, not to mention your extreme Winter weather (I now live in the mountains--even have a large ski resort-- but your winters are worse).

Honored Contributor

@patbz    I use a swamp cooler + ceiling fans to cool my house.  Cheap to operate.

@Witchy Woman   After you live in a very dry climate for several months, your skin and mucus membranes adjust.  I found my skin improved and my joint weren't nearly as achey.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Nightowlz   Where in the world are you?  We only get about 7" of rain a year, mostly at this time, and we're way behind for 2020.  I can't even remember our last good rain.

@Kachina624 

I'm in Ok. We usually don't have rain like that in July. It's generally hot. Great swimming weather but not this year.

This was during one of the rains we had.

Flood 4.PNG