Super Contributor

It's Halloween! Have you ever been "ghosted?"

Ghosting is when someone who used to be friendly or even romantic with you suddenly  cuts off all communication without explanation. 

Have you ever been ghosted?  I have, twice.  I wasn't really hurt by it, but I thought it was extremely rude.  

Honored Contributor

Re: It's Halloween! Have you ever been "ghosted?"

thanks for explaination of ghosted. i have heard of that term but really never knew much about it. at least i have some explanation of what it is.

I may have been ghosted, probably have been several times of the years, but off the top of my head i can not think of anything now. 

Honored Contributor

I haven't been ghosted but I have ghosted others. I'm not proud of it but I didn't know the guys enough to feel like I owed them much. 

Super Contributor

I do understand that GenXmuse.

Honored Contributor

I have been ghosted by potential employers while changing jobs before and after the pandemic started. It's unprofessional and inappropriate. And they wonder why some people can't find workers.

I would only ghost people in my personal life who deserve to be ghosted. Serious reasons
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I guess that's what happened to me, "ghosted".  I met a man on a blind date. We hit it off really well, exchanged phone numbers and then went on several more dates. He told me about his life, where he worked and all.  I was totally crazy about that guy. Things were going really great and then suddenly he stopped calling me and my calls to him went straight to voice mail. I was really heartbroken. I needed to find out what was going on and since I knew where he worked I did a no-no and showed up at his place of work to confront him. All he told me was that he wasn't ready for a relationship b/c he wanted to focus on raising his young child. So I walked away and cried in my car all the way home.

Respected Contributor

I'm sure I have (it's probably a universal experience!), but honestly all I remember now are the times I ghosted others. Like @GenXmuse I wish I'd handled things differently, now.

Honored Contributor

I can't remember ever doing it to anyone.  And if it happened to me, it didn't have a big enough emotional impact to be worthy of memory. 

Respected Contributor

I returned to work after working from home for 18 months because of a medical accommodation. There were many of us that worked from home. Certain male co workers in my department have been treating me "some type of way"  "ghosting" whatever we're calling it these days. 
I feel like I'm back in elementary school. Like when I returned from having the chicken pox and my " friends" decided let's not be Kbeans friend anymore. 😆 

These co workers will either get over it or they won't.

I know I will.

Honored Contributor

I was ghosted by 5 close friends, count em, 5, after my husband passed away. They sent the obligatory sympathy cards and then 4 of them never checked in again.  Not a call, not a text, not an invitation to lunch, nothing.  Close friends mind you.  Shopping, lunch, exchange gifts close friends. 

The 5th (the closest friend) kept sending me cards and we would text, but she didn't call to ask how I was doing and then finally, after 8 months, we talked and we have patched our relationship and I am glad about that.

I can't even tell you how hurt I was/am.  The sadness and not understanding why someone would treat me like that was stunning to me.   It is its own kind of grief, like I was looking for yet more grief.... not.  I will never understand why they treated me like that and I will never forget it.

I'm a very open person.  A few months after my husband passed away, I saw a therapist for a brief time.  My husband had died and then we immediately had damage to our house from a hurricane.  It was too much.   This ghosting was one of the first things I brought up.  My therapist wanted me to stand up for myself and call and lay it all out there.  I just couldn't do it.  I didn't want to inflict hurt on them as they had on me.  So I just let the friendships go.  

Have I ever been ghosted romantically?  No.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?