Valued Contributor

It's Christmas in July-is anyone else afraid Christmas will be tight due to less pay?

I am still working, but have lost $200-300 a month recently due to cuts. I live in one state while my family lives in another. I generally order their gifts and mail them. But this year, what with less pay, no raise, and who knows how long this thing will be going on, I'm afraid this Christmas will be lacking. Anyone else feel the same?

Honored Contributor

Re: It's Christmas in July-is anyone else afraid Christmas will be tight due to less pay?

[ Edited ]

I feel bad for those who have a reduced or no income due to Covid.  I'm retired and my fear is that we won't be able to get together with family & friends this holiday season.

Respected Contributor

Re: It's Christmas in July-is anyone else afraid Christmas will be tight due to less pay?

I just turned the tv on. I don’t do Christmas in July. And I I’m not even sure I’m going to do too much Christmas this year anyway. I’m watching Rick and he’s all dressed up and it all just seems pretty ridiculous. JMO

Honored Contributor

Most people have more decorations than they can put out and I'm sure a lot of people will need to cut back on spending to some degree, but that's not really the meaning of Christmas is it?

It might be a good to time to look at priorities and what is most important. 

Honored Contributor

@LisaMofSLC wrote:

I am still working, but have lost $200-300 a month recently due to cuts. I live in one state while my family lives in another. I generally order their gifts and mail them. But this year, what with less pay, no raise, and who knows how long this thing will be going on, I'm afraid this Christmas will be lacking. Anyone else feel the same?

Lacking in what -- gifts?  

Honored Contributor

I'm more concerned that we aren't going to be able to get together with family and friends because of the virus. 

If we are surging now, I really don't know what to expect for winter, and how bad it could be. I'm fully expecting that we won't be able to gather in the same place safely with people who don't already live with us. 

Respected Contributor

Ok I just have to say what is that red thing Rick has on? Is that supposed to be a vest or what? It looks silly.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LisaMofSLC 

Although I'm retired and yes, love to "window shop" CIJ I stopped years ago buying into it.

I had (and still have) things in the original boxes🙄 unused.  I'd hope to sell at Fall Community yard sale if it's held

As for spending $$ I'm extremely cautious mainly because investments took a hit, but will "slowly" get back on track, and buying for others except my GD, great nephew is my only anticipated gifts for the kids.

Nobody I know is wanting anymore tchotchkes or "dust collectors". Many of them no longer decorate as in years past☹️.

We now go to nice restaurant during  Christmas season.  

No exchanging because these ladies "regift" and one can tell they're "old & tired" most of us have opted to stop this "regifting" cycle...

Perfect!!!

(edited because typed on original post on Ipad boy did I have typos!! sorry!)

Esteemed Contributor

I can bet most of us have plenty of Christmas decor. Our family stopped with the gifting of adults years ago, with the exception of my mother while she was with us.  The focus is on the two children in the family.  It was not only the money involved, but the problem of what to choose for all.  Agreeing to this relieved so much stress.  And it helped us focus more on the true meaning of Christmas.

Valued Contributor

Yes, @Imtep. I cannot spend the holidays with my family, but I like to send gifts, and then I call Mom and she tells me how the family celebrations went. As someone else said, IF they have the typical family get together.