Honored Contributor

Re: It's Been A Loooooooong Winter

@hckynut wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 

Here in Nebraska, where there have been many real winters, this winter I consider to be very mild and short. Only a couple incidents of over 3-4 inches of snow/and no very long periods of 1 digit temperatures(including wind chill).

Since ice hockey has been a huge part of most of my life, winter is the good season of the year. Outside snow and ice? Not so much. Very cold temperatures, all one needs know, is how to properly dress for the activities you plan, and never be without a backup, if the cold catches you off guard.

Hot weather on the other hand?  I worked in a 100° plus factory for over 30 years, and also ran thousands of miles after work in high temperatures and humidity. My body, though acclimated to function at a high level in these types of heat, does not mean it was not, to say the least, very uncomfortable.

Unlike the cold outdoor temperature activities, for which one can properly dress, in hot weather outdoor activities, one is limited to wearing clothes, legally, to only a certain point. Once nudity is reached and a person is still hot, what's left? Get indoors to cool. Cold temperatures have many more and legal options.

Hmm, what was the question again?   =^..^=

hckynut(john)

@hckynut

I totally agree, John.  It's much easier to get warm than it is to get relief from the heat.  I find I hardly ever go out on hot days anymore, my body just wilts. 

If we ever do have a cyber war where our electricity is taken out nationwide, I do think hundreds of thousands would die at these new heat levels.  It's very scary.  ~Ford

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Here on the front range of the Colorado Rockies we've had very little snow. It's been a drought season for sure and I miss the snow! I feel like we didn't even have a winter here. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in MN it is always a long winter here.  They teased us with possible temperatues in the 50's over the weekend, unfortunately, that did not happen, in fact Friday night we had snow flurries, so winter is going to hang around for a bit longer.  MN is unpredictible to say the least but it is HOME and I cannot imagine living anywhere else!

Overall it has been an unexciting winter as far as accumulation goes though!

Esteemed Contributor

@traveler I have been to Anchorage, beautiful part of the country, I loved visiting family there!

Valued Contributor

I'm in Kansas and I love the change of seasons. When it's winter, I want it to be winter!  I love wearing sweaters, jeans and boots.  It has been incredibly warm here and I don't like it!!  It will be hotter than the hubs of you-know-where soon enough!

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Trusted Contributor

Not here...it's been very mild, so it doesn't seem long

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Yup, it's still raining in my neck of the woods in California, and we desperatly needed the rain this season, but this season has just seemed so much longer than other winters.

Spring is just two weeks away, the 21st, I believe.

I am going to love the warmer days.

Has this winter seemed long to you?

@Plaid Pants2  Yes, the longest in decades, it seems.  This was always the usual weather, raining from at least October through April, but as you know, the weather has been screwy for a long time.  It really poured last night, but the sun is trying to come out now.  I wish rain would come during the week and not on the weekends. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I have hard time thinking of a wet rainy winter in CA as winter.  I think where I live, we call that spring...lol   It's 14 degrees outside today and it was single digits yesterday and the day before with 40 mile winds.  It's funny, we're having the coldest weather of the year now when calendar Spring is just weeks away.  Although real spring weather doesn't come until May.  I'm sick of  the cold but I feel fortunate that we didn't get much snow this year.  We had snow but no big whopping blizzards....so far.  I understand it's all relative and some cool wet days might seem bad if you aren't accustomed to it.

Honored Contributor

We're not done with rain yet, as @Plaid Pants2 said. Our temps are also very temperate when we have rain, i.e. we warm up a bit. We've hardly had any night time temps in the 30s & low 40s except before the rain.

I don't mind the rain per se, but please no more "bombogenesis" kwap.  It basically destroyed our infrastructure - so many trees down that all roads were impassable, all power lines down, and the trees all had to be taken care of before any electrical work could start - all while it was still continuing to storm. And it was SO bad that many of the poles could not be "repaired" but new poles brought in and new transformers, lines, etc - as they said, built again from the ground up. So...no more of that, please!

I think our wee hours this morning rain has passed and it's gorgeously sunny outside now. I am very much enjoying sunshine and temps in the 60s. Spring is really lovely here, prettier than summer which is often overcast and foggy.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I'm still waiting for winter to start here in the dc area.  This was the worst winter ever.  Way too warm and no snow.