Honored Contributor

Re: It's Been 20 years since Susan Smith

@Tissyanne wrote:

I certainly have never heard David Smith say he visits Susan in jail. He said he has not talked to her at all since she confessed. You may be thinking about Rusty Yates who has stood by his mentally ill wife that drowned their 5 children. 

This was one horiffic story.  I won't repeat the details here, but everyone who followed it know them, but every time I think of those children and the terror they felt as she hunted them down and drowned them one after the other, my blood runs cold.

Trusted Contributor

@Tissyanne wrote:

I certainly have never heard David Smith say he visits Susan in jail. He said he has not talked to her at all since she confessed. You may be thinking about Rusty Yates who has stood by his mentally ill wife that drowned their 5 children. 

Thanks for clearing that up.  I have more respect for him now then I had a few minutes ago. 

Respected Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

@redhead23 wrote:

He was interviewd on TV recently. He is married with children and very happy.

He still goes to the prison and visits her regulary on a routine basis. They discuss what happened.

He feels bad that he didn't more deeply understand the signs of post-partum depression and depression that ensues.

He forgives her without malice.

WOW, what a wonderful man.Heart

I think you are confusing David Smith to that idiot Randy Yates who visits his wife, Andrea, who drowned their 7 children.

David Smith has said that he NEVER has visited Susan and he cannot even stand to read about her in the paper because its brings everything right back.

I think you're right, colliegirls. I remember the interview with David Smith after the case. When he was talking, you could see he was both sad and furious. I think he said something along the lines, "he's never going through this again." I think he meant he didn't want to get married or have anymore children. Couldn't blame him for feeling that way.

Thankfully, he did get married again and had a lovely little one. Smiley Happy

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Honored Contributor

I remember how mad I was and how I cried for those two adorable, precious boys..  I told my husband, "She could've dropped them off on our porch and we'd of raised them."  What a horrible, horrible woman!!  Heartless!!!!

I still say they should've posted huge posters of those boys' all around, outside of her cell so she'd be reminded every day of what she did.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I remember it being on the news a lot. How sad for those little kids.

Honored Contributor

I just remember wondering why the police were allowing her to hold that ridiculous press conference.  I can't remember a single person believing her story...........

Super Contributor

I was afraid to open this post, but I remember it well and was so sick over it. I have to say I hate that women, what she did was unforgiveable.

Esteemed Contributor

It happened in 1994...so it's been 21 years, right?

I don't remember if they were still married at the time.  Don't know why she didn't see another way out...giving up custody if they were divorced and she wanted another man.

Why does he still visit her in prison?  What's the point?  They don't share children anymore.  She's IN jail because she KILLED the children they DID share.  This is what he thinks of her:

What did David Smith have to say about the scandalous report?  (The "scandalous report" is that she paid a "jail mate" to look out for guards while she had rendezvous with her prison girlfriend in closets and the cafeteria freezer.  report here from 2013: http://www.hlntv.com/slideshow/2013/10/09/david-smith-susan-smith-killed-sons-where-are-they-now)

“It doesn’t surprise me with Susan,” her ex-husband told Grace. “She’s very convincing. She was always very sneaky. She always had to have her way or no way. So Susan’s going to do something to always get the attention, get the spotlight on her or get it back on her. Whichever it may be.”

Does he visit her out of pity, or is it more like "I have a great life and you don't"?

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

It happened in 1994...so it's been 21 years, right?

I don't remember if they were still married at the time.  Don't know why she didn't see another way out...giving up custody if they were divorced and she wanted another man.

Why does he still visit her in prison?  What's the point?  They don't share children anymore.  She's IN jail because she KILLED the children they DID share.  This is what he thinks of her:

What did David Smith have to say about the scandalous report?  (The "scandalous report" is that she paid a "jail mate" to look out for guards while she had rendezvous with her prison girlfriend in closets and the cafeteria freezer.  report here from 2013: http://www.hlntv.com/slideshow/2013/10/09/david-smith-susan-smith-killed-sons-where-are-they-now)

“It doesn’t surprise me with Susan,” her ex-husband told Grace. “She’s very convincing. She was always very sneaky. She always had to have her way or no way. So Susan’s going to do something to always get the attention, get the spotlight on her or get it back on her. Whichever it may be.”

Does he visit her out of pity, or is it more like "I have a great life and you don't"?

The above posts corrected the info, in fact David Smith has NEVER visited Susan and has no intention to see her
He has stated that every time he reads something about her, it brings it all back in his face.  He has explained many times during an interview that you never get over losing a child. He has always seemed so sensitive and well spoken for such a young adult at the time.