Honored Contributor

Just curious... when I worked as a teacher, every year our district was off for Columbus Day.

This year, the district is not off... which seems unusual.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Columbus Day shouldn't be a holiday.

Respected Contributor

Lots of organizations redefine its "holidays" periodically.  For example, we USED to get off on Veterens Day, but now, instead, we get 2 days at Christmas.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Perhaps it will become Native Americans Day instead.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I work at a college, and we've never had the day off.  The schools used to, but now most of them are in session.  Around here (NE Ohio) I think it's mostly the bankers and government employees who got to sleep in (ain't that just the way.......).

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Re: It's Almost Gem Day!

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@Drythe.  With a high population of Native Americans, New Mexico is celebrating Indigenous People Day.  They want Columbus totally gone because he mistreated the Indians(?).

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Drythe.  With a high population of Native Americans, New Mexico is celebrating Indigenous People Day.  They want Columbus totally gone because he mistreated the Indians(?).

Albuquerque does this, but as far as I've read, it has not been adopted by all of New Mexico. The only state to have made this declaration is Alaska. Every other area has been doing this by city, not state. There are nine cities that have pushed Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoples Day, and I hope the trend continues. Congratulations on being from a more enlightened area!