Respected Contributor

Re: It's A Small Thing But So Annoying

@Pook wrote:

Taking your hat off to eat means nothing - it's how you live your life and treat others!!!

Another thought - there are many who use so called manners of the past to fool older people into thinking they are so wonderful...but...  - like Eddie Haskel was!

I was just thinking about leave it to beaver! June and Ward were so snobby LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz, does your development have an HOA?  If so unless no resident has complained they are being derelict in their obligations and should be confronted about it.

If there is no HOA from what you described there are likely several major zoning violations that should be reported and even a health risk with the overflowing garbage which should also be reported to both the proper city/county department and the health department.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Pook What makes us human is treating others well and being kind.

Also, part or being human means we do not behave as if we live in a barn.  Manners are never out of style.

We are expected to do both, not one over the other.  I would be embarrassed not to have good manners or be with people who did not.

And to be honest, I have.  My DH has a friend who is financially loaded and buys expensive things and likes fine restaurants..  His manners are the worst ever, especially while eating.  I no longer will go out to eat with him, though he is invited into my home for a meal.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

People today have gigantic egos and no pride.  Dressing well and having manners means you have pride in yourself and respect or others.  

Wow.

That’s a H.U.G.E brushstroke....and really, really sad to think

the only way to have pride in yourself & respect to others is

dictated by my closet.  Clearly we don’t understand pride & respect. 

Honored Contributor

my husband is one of them. He has his ball cap on. he wears them for work as well as military (retired), he is so use to wearing the ball cap he forgets he even has the cap on.

Honored Contributor

Yes, you are incredibly of fashioned when it comes to hats.  You actually made me laugh.  Time marches on and men don't take of their hats when they are indoors anymore because the hats they wear are part of their outfits.  Some men have ball cap collections they way that we have handbag collections.  They don't remeove them every time they go indoors.  Maybe they would they were wearing fedors but I actually don't see men wearing that type of hat anymore.  It's skull caps and ball caps now.  

Honored Contributor

If they’re going to leave their hats on, do me the courtesy of at least tipping it when I walk by. 

I prefer hats be removed but I wouldn’t want something that went on my head to be put down and exposed to who knows what. 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  YES! Bugs me to no end. My Daddy said it was a sign of disrespect and being raised in a barn. Considering my Daddy was raised in the back hills, had dirt floors and was as poor as a Church Mouse growing up, it carried much weight when he would say it.

Honored Contributor

It's one of the great pleasures of life to see people with good manners, and kind consideration of others, in all circumstances. 

Those things aren't old-fashioned at all-- they're timeless.

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree  I never said men had to take them off every time they go indoors.  I was referring to a nicer restaurant as opposed to a diner or bar environment. I'm glad you got your laugh for the day.  I hope the rest of your evening is as pleasant as you are.