Honored Contributor

Re: It's A Small Thing But So Annoying

@CrazyKittyLvr2    The rules  for being proper are by the way side today.  It is just the way it is. 

Valued Contributor

It’s true, @CrazyKittyLvr2, that men removing their hats is going by the wayside.  My husband and sons-in-law and grandsons still remove theirs when in restaurants and other public places. I appreciate the fact that they do this. Many men don’t remove their caps during the National Anthem, either. 

I don’t think they’re trying to be disrespectful, times are just changing.

A few weeks ago a man and his son who looked to be around 5 or 6 were going in to a store just ahead of me. The man removed his baseball cap as he opened the door. The little boy started to go through, but the father called his name (softly with a smile) and put a hand on his shoulder. That cute little thing took a step back to stand beside his dad, looked at me and said, “Excuse me.”  That made my day!

Honored Contributor

On my hometown Facebook page people post many old pictures of times gone by on the Jersey shore. The really old ones? They have men in suits and hats and women in long dresses to the ground with long sleeves. On the beach!  Yes, times change. I have no complaints. 

Valued Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Yes women should remove hats too.  I addressed men because I saw no women with hats at dinner.  Outside of winter hats, and the occasional baseball hat in the summer, I rarely see women in hats.

I wore hats to 2 wedding years ago, and yes, I took them off in the church.

We Catholic women used to always keep our hats on in church. Our heads were supposed to be covered. That’s not necessary anymore, either. 

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

But were the baseball caps on backward?  

@Johnnyeager   ROTFLMAO!! Good one!

(Why didn't I think of it)

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I am 66 and like the more casual way things are now.  Whether someone is wearing a hat to eat is no concern of mine and does not have any effect on my life.  AT one time there were hat check areas in good restaurants where coats and hats could be left.  Men also used to wear suits to ballgames and women wore good dresses! Now that was utterly ridiculous!  It's who the person is and how they treat others that matters to me and not what they are wearing.

Esteemed Contributor

Baseball caps on or off doesn't bother me.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

It depends on the restaurant.

I think men should remove their baseball caps. 

Honored Contributor

We have some new neighbors renting a house across the street. 

I'm pretty sure they are Mennonite. I think they are using the house for home schooling.

Kids come & go like it's Grand Central Station.

At times they make the girls stand out front in the freezing cold while the boys go in first. The boys come back out with their school notebooks & girls go in the house.

They don't make very good neighbors.

Honored Contributor

Doesn't bother me one way or the other whether men or women leave their hats on indoors.  I can't control it - why worry about something I can't do anything about?

Their heads, their hats.