Esteemed Contributor

Re: It's A Small Thing But So Annoying

download.jpgdownload (1).jpg

Honored Contributor

I would think if they are with a women, they would ask them to remove their hats...but guess they are used to it.
Honored Contributor

What appalls me the most is seeing men wear hats in church....total disrespect of the setting you are in!
Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

Just an FYI, the hat rules (from years ago) were different for men and women.

Women wore hats as part of their ensemble and were not expected to remove them.

As others have stated, as a kid we (females) HAD to have something on our heads to enter church.  Men HAD to remove their hats.  The pews even had hat clips on them for men's hats.

@faeriemoon I have always wondered what those clips were for.  That totally makes sense. 

Learn something new every day...

Respected Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Bubby Mommy wrote:

To the Original Poster:

I agree with you 150%.  Since when did it become acceptable to be a filthy slob in a nice restaurant?  Men/boys should NOT wear hats indoors.  One exception - if they want to wear the baseball caps in a restaurant, save it for McDonalds.  I am disgusted with the disrespectful, "it's all about me" attitudes in this country. 

That's quite a leap you're taking - from wearing a hat to filthy slob!  

It's a hat on a head.  And what someone wears on their head doesn't infringe on any of your rights.  You're entitled to not like it.  And they're entitled to wear hats if they want.  Restaurant staff will let them know if it's not allowed.   There's nothing "all about me" about it.

@NYC Susan 10 hearts for this post. How it went from a person wearing a hat in a nicer restaurant to it being a filthy slob in the restaurant is quite amusing. Also if this place was so nice I'm sure someone from the staff would have asked the diner to remove his hat.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

What appalls me the most is seeing men wear hats in church....total disrespect of the setting you are in!

Wearing a hat "total disrespect"??  It's how that man treats others and lives his life and not taking off his hat in church that matters!!!  That antiquated idea was just something made up by someone way back in olden times!!!   That hat on his head means nothing disrespectful to me - now if he cheats on his wife, touches women inappropriately, cheats on his taxes, says nasty things about others, is dishonest in his business, etc then that is total disrespect in every way!!  I have seen so many supposedly mannerly people do horrendous things in their daily lives but they took their hats off!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pook wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:

Wearing a hat "total disrespect"??  It's how that man treats others and lives his life and not taking off his hat in church that matters!!!  That antiquated idea was just something made up by someone way back in olden times!!!   That hat on his head means nothing disrespectful to me - now if he cheats on his wife, touches women inappropriately, cheats on his taxes, says nasty things about others, is dishonest in his business, etc then that is total disrespect in every way!!  I have seen so many supposedly mannerly people do horrendous things in their daily lives but they took their hats off!!

Exactly!  A hat on a head or a hat removed from a head doesn't indicate anything about character.  Going back in time quite a long way, many men who have removed their hats also committed crimes, abused their wives, etc.  They were not and are not better men because they took their hats off in a restaurant or in church or anywhere else.

Yes, good manners are admirable, and some people see the removal of hats as a sign of respect.  But not everyone sees it that way, and as time goes by I think society is becoming more aware that what's truly in people's hearts should not be judged by what we see on the outside.

Esteemed Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

@Ketra wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

Funny, I was raised in a religion that hats were required to be worn by women in church, but men were forbidden to.  Now that's all been done away with.

We do live in a much more casual world today and as long as a person is clean, neat and polite in a social situation, I don't give a hoot what they wear.

Now if someone comes out in public wearing pants on their heads, I might give it an extra look.

@RoughDraft Yes, society has become casual when it comes to attire. Maybe that’s why I see so many people out shopping in their PJs.😬 I think that’s just ignorance unless they are disabled in some way. 

I live in one of the largest cities in the U.S.  I'm still waiting to see someone waltzing around in pj's.  Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention.

I've never seen anyone out and about in pj's either (other than very young children), and I think I'm pretty observant.  I know that people do it, but I've never seen that where I live or anywhere I've been while traveling.

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

I would prefer to give them credit for being in church in the first place. 

Judge not lest ye be judged!