Esteemed Contributor

Re: It's A Small Thing But So Annoying

@qbetzforreal wrote:

I'm wondering what classy restuarant the OP is talking about that caters to baseball cap wearing crowd?  Is all the time or one time?  I reside in a large metropolitan area and the better restuarants I've been in- I've not seen the phenomenon.

Good point.  I've never seen it in nice restaurants either.

Esteemed Contributor

My Son is thirty and very sensitive about the bald spot on the top of his head.  He is almost never without a knit hat or a ball cap (visor forward, frequently washed).  He would not wear a cap if it was inappropriate to the locale.  I appreciate good manners and usually my Son has them (no smoking while dining, no using cell phone etc.).  These niceties are very important, the hat, not so much!

Respected Contributor

@Ketra wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

Funny, I was raised in a religion that hats were required to be worn by women in church, but men were forbidden to.  Now that's all been done away with.

We do live in a much more casual world today and as long as a person is clean, neat and polite in a social situation, I don't give a hoot what they wear.

Now if someone comes out in public wearing pants on their heads, I might give it an extra look.

@RoughDraft Yes, society has become casual when it comes to attire. Maybe that’s why I see so many people out shopping in their PJs.😬 I think that’s just ignorance unless they are disabled in some way. 

I live in one of the largest cities in the U.S.  I'm still waiting to see someone waltzing around in pj's.  Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RoughDraft wrote:

@Ketra wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

Funny, I was raised in a religion that hats were required to be worn by women in church, but men were forbidden to.  Now that's all been done away with.

We do live in a much more casual world today and as long as a person is clean, neat and polite in a social situation, I don't give a hoot what they wear.

Now if someone comes out in public wearing pants on their heads, I might give it an extra look.

@RoughDraft Yes, society has become casual when it comes to attire. Maybe that’s why I see so many people out shopping in their PJs.😬 I think that’s just ignorance unless they are disabled in some way. 

I live in one of the largest cities in the U.S.  I'm still waiting to see someone waltzing around in pj's.  Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention.

@RoughDraft I guess you haven’t been grocery shopping or to a mall in

Las Vegas or California. My guess is you wouldn’t see it in NY, but I could be wrong.

Honored Contributor

A person can wear something on their head anytime for religious purposes so why can’t someone wear a hat for fashion purposes since the rule has already been broken.

Honored Contributor

@Ketra wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

@Ketra wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

@RoughDraft I guess you haven’t been grocery shopping or to a mall in

Las Vegas or California. My guess is you wouldn’t see it in NY, but I could be wrong.

New Yorker here @Ketra @and I have seen it frequently around here. 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

This weekend we went to dinner at a very nice restaurant. I can't tell you how many men/boys I saw that did not remove  their darn hats while eating.

I realize we are a casual society and I'm not saying they have to remove hats to walk around a mall and such, but some places, tableclothes and cloth napkins warrant removing your hat.  And yes I'm old fashioned in that respect.

We all have our pet peeves. Hats don't bother me in restaurants but men or women overdoing fragrances do. Nothing quite like being in a restaurant where some lady drenched herself in Youth Dew. Same with a guy who is wearing Polo where it's so strong you need your inhaler for asthma...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When we eat out, I mind my own business ,unless someone is annoying us, and that has never happened

I don't decide who can wear what, nor ,do I let others decide this for me.

Its a great big world ,and I prefer to let it turn ,without my help..I am not in charge, and I don't make the rules, that is down to management..the times they are a changin

Trusted Contributor

@dex wrote:

A person can wear something on their head anytime for religious purposes so why can’t someone wear a hat for fashion purposes since the rule has already been broken.

@dex Times have changed and you make a valid point. I would leave the final decision up to the restaurant owner as I feel they can dictate the dress code in their restaurant. 

Honored Contributor

Just an FYI, the hat rules (from years ago) were different for men and women.

Women wore hats as part of their ensemble and were not expected to remove them.

As others have stated, as a kid we (females) HAD to have something on our heads to enter church.  Men HAD to remove their hats.  The pews even had hat clips on them for men's hats.