Esteemed Contributor

Re: It's A Small Thing But So Annoying

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

This weekend we went to dinner at a very nice restaurant. I can't tell you how many men/boys I saw that did not remove  their darn hats while eating.

I realize we are a casual society and I'm not saying they have to remove hats to walk around a mall and such, but some places, tableclothes and cloth napkins warrant removing your hat.  And yes I'm old fashioned in that way. 

Do you feel the same way about women removing their hats?

The way I remember it when I was growing up, was that men were required to remove their hats, women were not.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Ruby Laine wrote:

It’s true, @CrazyKittyLvr2, that men removing their hats is going by the wayside.  My husband and sons-in-law and grandsons still remove theirs when in restaurants and other public places. I appreciate the fact that they do this. Many men don’t remove their caps during the National Anthem, either. 

I don’t think they’re trying to be disrespectful, times are just changing.

A few weeks ago a man and his son who looked to be around 5 or 6 were going in to a store just ahead of me. The man removed his baseball cap as he opened the door. The little boy started to go through, but the father called his name (softly with a smile) and put a hand on his shoulder. That cute little thing took a step back to stand beside his dad, looked at me and said, “Excuse me.”  That made my day!

How sweet.  Isn't it just delightful to see a parent teaching a young child manners?  How people treat other people certainly reflects on how they were raised.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

My husband and my sons always remove their hats before coming to the table.   No way would they get a bite to eat if they didn't.

I taught my kids manners.  They know them well. My children are adults now, but people who have met my adult kids still tell me how polite they are. Same goes for my grands.

I don't care how casual society is now, I know that my kids won't embarrass themselves in anyone's company because they were not taught proper manners.

When I grew up, if you did not use manners at the table, you were banished from the kitchen. My parents said humans should not eat like barnyard animals.

Being casual does not excuse bad manners.

Oh,  and don't get me startedon men wearing tank tops in nice sit down restaurants...

gross!!  I have seen men throw a fit when they were not allowed to enter a resturant in a tank top, especially in resort areas.

As I mentioned on another post, how one behaves is a reflection of their upbringing, you did a good job and you have every right to be proud of yourself and your family.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pqfan wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

My husband and my sons always remove their hats before coming to the table.   No way would they get a bite to eat if they didn't.

I taught my kids manners.  They know them well. My children are adults now, but people who have met my adult kids still tell me how polite they are. Same goes for my grands.

I don't care how casual society is now, I know that my kids won't embarrass themselves in anyone's company because they were not taught proper manners.

When I grew up, if you did not use manners at the table, you were banished from the kitchen. My parents said humans should not eat like barnyard animals.

Being casual does not excuse bad manners.

I love this post.❤️

Me too....Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

We have some new neighbors renting a house across the street. 

I'm pretty sure they are Mennonite. I think they are using the house for home schooling.

Kids come & go like it's Grand Central Station.

At times they make the girls stand out front in the freezing cold while the boys go in first. The boys come back out with their school notebooks & girls go in the house.

They don't make very good neighbors.

@Nightowlz, why and in what way?

@Marp 

Like I said it's like Grand Central Station over there.

We bought our house in a housing addition not across the street from a school.

They are always blocking our driveway, they throw trash in the street instead of putting it in the trash can. They also make a lot of noise. It was nice & quiet around here until they showed up.

They forget to set their trash out. It's sitting next to the garage overflowing. They just picked up trash this morning so when the wind starts blowing tomorrow it will be all over the place.

They moved in later last year & waited to mow until the grass was a foot high.

The other people that lived there were real nice but they got evicted. One morning I looked out the window & a couple of guys were putting all their stuff in the front yard.

At least they took care of that place.

I wouldn't be very happy having that living across the street from me either.  Most people take pride in their property, I would hope, and to have new people move in who have no respect for themselves and neighbors is very upsetting to say the least.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Taking your hat off to eat means nothing - it's how you live your life and treat others!!!

Another thought - there are many who use so called manners of the past to fool older people into thinking they are so wonderful...but...  - like Eddie Haskel was!

So if I go into a restaurant or any facility and have good manners because I was brought up that way, it means I am fooling people into thinking I am wonderful?  I think not, it means exactly what it is, I was raised right and have respect for myself and others around me.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

It's one of the great pleasures of life to see people with good manners, and kind consideration of others, in all circumstances. 

Those things aren't old-fashioned at all-- they're timeless.

Thank you...Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

We have some new neighbors renting a house across the street. 

I'm pretty sure they are Mennonite. I think they are using the house for home schooling.

Kids come & go like it's Grand Central Station.

At times they make the girls stand out front in the freezing cold while the boys go in first. The boys come back out with their school notebooks & girls go in the house.

They don't make very good neighbors.

Count your blessings my area has a guy who sits and revs and backfires his sports car first, then, goes to his truck and revs that engine till it backfires and sputters.

I called the law on him. Now, he goes in back yard and the poor people in his back yard has the pleasure of listening to him.

I know just what you mean, we have folks on either side of our house with motorcycles and when they rev them up I swear the walls vibrate.  It is most annoying and there are times one of them does it at ten o'clock at night.

Honored Contributor

So much has changed in today's world. Woman Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

So much has changed in today's world. Woman Sad

And not necessarily for the better. Smiley Sad