Trusted Contributor

Re: It's A Small Thing But So Annoying

@Puppy Lips wrote:

If they took them off, where would you like them to put them?  On the table?  I think not.  On the floor to get stepped on?

If they are wearing a hat, I would prefer it stay on their head.  That way, none of their hair is falling on the table, and I don't have to see any gross and dirty sweat ring around the inside of the hat.  

@Puppy Lips  Good point! Most restaurants don’t have a place to check coats and hats 

anymore. So what are they to do with them?

Respected Contributor

We have to share this earthly space with all kinds of people.  The sooner we figure out how to do it with grace and kindness, the better off we'll all be.  Waiting for the ruder ones to catch up with us grand masters of perfection may take some patience. 

I don't much care what other people put on their bodies and hats bother me not at all except for the occasional message on them but then everyone has the right to express themselves without needing my approval of wording or if it's on backwards or upsidedown.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Yes women should remove hats too.  I addressed men because I saw no women with hats at dinner.  Outside of winter hats, and the occasional baseball hat in the summer, I rarely see women in hats.

I wore hats to 2 wedding years ago, and yes, I took them off in the church.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I don't understand why you removed your hat in the church.  

Esteemed Contributor

I'm happy to see this antiquated and senseless tradition die. It's about time.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  IMO it's on management of the "very nice restaurant" to require men to remove their hats and make any accommodations necessary for them to do so.

In some churches, hats or head covering of some kind for women used to be (and may still be) a requirement.

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

Our older son wears a cap most of the time, but he knows to take it off in restaurants other than fast food places.  He had a small basal cell skin cancer removed so his cap protects his buzz cut head and face. 

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

We have some new neighbors renting a house across the street. 

I'm pretty sure they are Mennonite. I think they are using the house for home schooling.

Kids come & go like it's Grand Central Station.

At times they make the girls stand out front in the freezing cold while the boys go in first. The boys come back out with their school notebooks & girls go in the house.

They don't make very good neighbors.

Count your blessings my area has a guy who sits and revs and backfires his sports car first, then, goes to his truck and revs that engine till it backfires and sputters.

I called the law on him. Now, he goes in back yard and the poor people in his back yard has the pleasure of listening to him.

Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

We have to share this earthly space with all kinds of people.  The sooner we figure out how to do it with grace and kindness, the better off we'll all be.  Waiting for the ruder ones to catch up with us grand masters of perfection may take some patience. 

I don't much care what other people put on their bodies and hats bother me not at all except for the occasional message on them but then everyone has the right to express themselves without needing my approval of wording or if it's on backwards or upsidedown.

@Free2be   Agree 1000%.

I am sure that those of us not bothered by a hat in a restaurant have brought our children up with good manners, too.

Bringing up our children is one thing and has nothing to do with not being bothered by a hat of all things.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Frequent Contributor

To the Original Poster:

I agree with you 150%.  Since when did it become acceptable to be a filthy slob in a nice restaurant?  Men/boys should NOT wear hats indoors.  One exception - if they want to wear the baseball caps in a restaurant, save it for McDonalds.  I am disgusted with the disrespectful, "it's all about me" attitudes in this country. 

Honored Contributor

@Bubby Mommy wrote:

To the Original Poster:

I agree with you 150%.  Since when did it become acceptable to be a filthy slob in a nice restaurant?  Men/boys should NOT wear hats indoors.  One exception - if they want to wear the baseball caps in a restaurant, save it for McDonalds.  I am disgusted with the disrespectful, "it's all about me" attitudes in this country. 

@Bubby Mommy   So then would it be all about you?

Referring to other people as filthy slobs kind of implies you expect the world to rotate around your perception of how it should be.

Just sayin'.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh